What is Technology?
Technology is the sum of techniques, skills, methods, and processes used in the production of goods or services or in the accomplishment of objectives, such as scientific investigation. Technology can be the knowledge of techniques, processes, and the like, or it can be embedded in machines to allow for operation without detailed knowledge of their workings. Careers with a technology degree offer many different specialties, including programming, data administration, and information security. Technology professionals typically work in an office environment and spend most of their time in front of a computer.
Below, you can explore some of the different career paths available in technology fields:
How to Start a Career in Technology?
Businesses require information technology, or IT, to remain competitive and provide the best products and services to customers. As more and more businesses discover ways to use technology to their benefit, demand for trained specialized IT professionals grows. For this reason and others, many people interested in starting a new career may consider the IT field.
- List your interests: Make a list of the type of IT work you believe you’d be interested in such as cybersecurity, web design, or project management? Your list will help you narrow your focus.
- Update your professional social media profiles
- Learn some coding skills
- Consider the education level needed for your preferred area of IT: Some positions look for certifications only, while others look for a 2- or 4-year degree.
- Network:Like most everything in life, your career will depend on your relationships. Attend a local IT networking group in your area virtually or in person. You’ll network with others in the field – employers, students, and other job seekers – and learn about new companies, educational opportunities, and job categories.
- Leverage your school’s career services: If you graduated from a college or university, contact the Career Services office for resources and hiring organizations specific to your school.
Why Choose a Career in IT?
Choosing a career in IT has a number of benefits, including:
Job stability: For one, IT offers job stability because there is more demand for skilled IT professionals than there are people in the field. Beyond that, IT roles tend to come with compensation that reflects the demand.
Low-cost training opportunities: In many cases, people can become trained in IT without a four-year degree. This means that educational costs to get into the field could be substantially lower than other high-paying fields like medicine or engineering.
Constant evolution: Additionally, IT is always changing with the advent of new technologies, which makes it a good option for people who like to keep learning.