On-Campus Employment

[This page was last updated on 2/12/24]

About On-Campus Employment

Two Types of Graduate Student On-Campus Employment 

  1. Federal Work Study Available for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents who have received a work-study allocation through their financial aid package
  2. Casual JobsAvailable for any Columbia student regardless of financial aid package or citizenship status

On-Campus Employment for International Graduate Students

  • If you are an international graduate student, it is important for you to know
    • what to do after you receive an offer
    • the process to obtain a Social Security Number
    • limitation on how many hours you may work
  • Please note that on-campus employment will NOT affect your OPT for F-1 students at all
  • There are also other criteria you must be in compliance with in order to be considered for on-campus employment. Please refer to this ISSO Overview page  on student employment for details

Where to search for On-Campus Employment

Federal Work Study:

For Work-Study opportunities, please visit Student Financial Services’ Federal Work-Study Jobs Database.

Casual Job Listings:

Several offices which may hire students are listed below. Please note that most offices have a designated recruiting window period, typically around the start of each semester. If you do not see advertised positions at the office where you want to work, introduce yourself and express interest in future openings.

  • SPS Teaching Assistant Jobs, SPS & CDL Internships (work-study and casual) 
    • Emails go out from SPS via Engage to current SPS students mid-semester.
    • Deadlines are usually by semester basis and the number of positions vary. 
    • Receive email and apply via Google form.
  • Columbia College Information Technology (CCIT) (work-study and casual) – Email resume and cover letter to ccit-jobs@columbia.edu
  • CC/SEAS Tutoring Service (work-study and casual) – Email Resume and cover letter to csatutoring@columbia.edu
  • GS Academic Resource Center (work-study and casual) – For more information about becoming a tutor, and to apply, please consult the Tutor Application Packet. For more information about becoming a Reading and Argument Coach, and to apply, please consult the ReadingCoach Application Packet. Please email resume and cover letter to gs-arc@columbia.edu with any questions.
  • Columbia University Department of Public Safety (work-study and casual) – Email resume and cover letter to ps-studentemployment@columbia.edu
  • Columbia University Libraries (work-study and casual)  – Students interested in applying for part-time student positions in the Libraries may fill out an application here and return to libcasuals@library.columbia.edu.
  • Columbia University Visitors Center (work-study)  – The Visitors Center hires students through the work-study program. Call (212) 854-4900 email resume and cover letter to visitorscenter@columbia.edu
  • Dodge Fitness Center  (work-study and casual) – Apply online
  • Columbia University Career Centers – Here are links to all the Career Centers. Reach out to them individually to apply.
  • University Events Management (work-study and casual) – UEM hires students to work events and provide administrative or A/V support. Apply online .
  • Columbia Global Centers (Casual) – Academic Related Jobs

Some academic departments hire students for positions such as teaching assistants, course assistants, or research roles. We encourage students interested in such roles to inquire within their academic departments.


Additional Opportunities:

Departmental Research Assistant II (Student Officer-salaried position): The Center on Global Energy Policy Departmental Research Assistants II (DRAs) supports the research and activities of the department through conducting research, data analysis and visualization, and other related tasks. – Apply or learn more here

Student Research Worker (Student Casual-hourly position): Student Research Workers provide administrative support for research programs, including conducting background research, literature reviews, data analysis, and other related tasks. – Apply or learn more here 

Student Administrative Support Worker (Student Casual-hourly position): Student Administrative Support Workers at the Center on Global Energy Policy provide operational and administrative assistance across multiple departments, including event planning, setup, organization, and maintenance. – Apply or learn more here