Resources for Diverse Populations
The Career Design Lab (CDL) in the School of Professional Studies (SPS) is here to support students of all backgrounds, perspectives and identities; enabling them to bring their full selves to work. We believe all students should have an opportunity to achieve their career aspirations while embracing their race, religion, gender, or sexuality. We are here to assist you in finding opportunities to explore careers, connect with professionals, and ask helpful questions to determine your best fit with an employer.
At the Career Design Lab we:
- provide one on one coaching to students to support their career goals
- help you with understanding your rights in the workplace offer advice on how to find employers that provide employee resource or affinity groups
- offer programming on addressing diversity, inclusion and equity at work
- offer programming on how to be an ally
We can help you consider these questions:
- Do I share my identity in the application process?
- How can I access mentors in career fields of interest to me?
- Are there particular employment opportunities and internships accessible to students with my specific background?
Tips for Researching Employers
- Is there an employee interest group for staff with my shared identity?
- What percentage of employees make up that identity group?
- What percentage of those employees are executives/managers?
- Review the anti-discrimination policies of the organization
- Participate in employer information sessions, career fairs and networking and ask current staff for their perspectives
Take advantage of other Columbia resources on diversity and equity in the workplace:
- The Graduate Initiative
- Office of the Provost Diversity Offices and Initiatives
- President Bollinger’s Statement on Anti-Racism
- University Life’s Anti-Racism Resource Ppage
- Graduate School’s Full Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
- Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officers: Creating and Maintaining Equity in the Workforce
- DEI Through the Leadership Lens: Conversation with Chief Diversity Officers
- Commission on the Status of Women
- Columbia Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Columbia Student Organizations
- ROOTED – Respecting Ourselves and Others Through Empathy and Dialogue
Career Resources for Student Groups