Zurich North America is currently looking for a Head of Sustainability Underwriting that will be responsible for establishing and leading our underwriting strategy, risk appetite and product solutions that align with and support Zurich’s sustainability commitment . We are looking for this leader to ensure a positive impact for the business and stakeholders while strengthening the Zurich’s brand and reputation as being a responsible and impactful business. This is an executive position and will report to the Chief Underwriting Officer of Zurich North America and located in our Zurich North American headquarters based in our Schaumburg, IL office.
The Head of Sustainability Underwriting is responsible for establishing and leading our underwriting strategy, risk appetite and product solutions supporting climate change and other societal concerns. This leader will be a member of the ZNA Sustainability Committee, working closely with Human Resources and Operations as the organizational focuses on implementing our strategic and tactical objectives and creating innovative solutions that address societal concerns, workforce in transition, changing climate and building confidence in a digital society. This leader will work closely with our business units, government organizations, industry and trading partners. We are looking for a passionate leader that will influence, deliver, bring connectivity and line up and prioritize our current sustainability activities in support of our ZNA and Group strategy.
- Define and lead ZNA underwriting strategy that align with and support Zurich’s sustainability commitment.
- Oversee and lead development of sustainability insurance solutions, ensuring they meet customer needs and align with Zurich guidelines.
- Collaborate with business unit leaders to develop underwriting guidelines that support Zurich’s Sustainability strategy.
- Actively contribute to the ZNA Sustainability Committee, bringing together Zurich’s overall Sustainability commitment focused on: workforce transition; confidence in a digital society; and changing climate.
- Manage internal stakeholders to ensure business buy-in, follow through on innovative business opportunities, integration into the business, local change management support and delivery of overall region or country sustainability and business goals.
- Engage with external stakeholders and external partners to ensure delivery of sustainability and business goals, ensure new knowledge transfer back into region/country and Group, and enhance the organization’s reputation and brand.
- Leveraging the Group’s sustainability ambition, analyze current practices and build and manage overall action plan to strengthen region/country’s sustainability leadership position and ensure implementation within the organization per designated Group focus areas.
- Identify a governance and measurement framework including KPIs to establish accountability, measure the performance of the sustainability actions, and establish a benchmark from which to improve.
- Communicate the strategy to colleagues, customers, stakeholders and vendors in a way that is easy to understand.
- Be a sustainability business partner for top management to coordinate and drive collaboration and implementation with other core business functions, such as Risk Engineering, Claims & Innovation.
- Share knowledge and experience with other countries and regions on implementation of local sustainability solutions and underwriting strategy..
- Support ongoing sustainability training and skill-building for colleagues across the region/country.
- Continuously develop yourself as a sustainability professional, stay up to date on emerging topics, and potentially search our professional certifications in sustainability or related disciplines, as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 12 or more years of combined business experience in the Strategic Management, Operations, Sustainability, Environmental Policies, Workforce Planning, or Digital Technology area
- Experience in Sustainability and aligning it to corporate initiatives
- Experience developing and presenting strategic communication to multiple audiences; Executives, Leadership (Directors/Managers) and Individual Contributors, considering both Regional and Global needs
- Experience with data analytics and preparing metrics
- People management and influence management at all levels of an organization
- Experience influencing and delivering results to complex matters that require multifaceted solutions through a customized blend of research, technology and services
- Demonstrable track record of delivering on quality, time and business expectations
- Detailed and results oriented
- Effective Stakeholder and Relationship Management
- Experience with global working environments
- Ability to work with ambiguity and independently
- Excellent communication, influencing, thought leadership and collaboration skills
- Advanced presentation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Insurance Industry experience
- Strong project management experience (PMP certified)
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click here to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM – Schaumburg, AM – Remote Work (US)
Remote Working: Yes
Schedule: Full Time