How you will contribute to our purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen the community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
The YMCA of Austin is seeking a highly motivated Hiring and Staffing Intern who is ready to learn aspects of the hiring and staffing team at the Extend-A-Care Branch. As an EAC Y Intern, you will play a critical role in supporting the hiring and staffing team’s day-to-day tasks and activities with the main focus on file management and licensing compliance. This position reports to the Business Manager.
We are looking for an intern to work for 6 weeks, up to 20 hours per week. Ideally, this position would go up until the day before Thanksgiving break, November 19th. A $500 stipend will be offered at the end of the internship.
What you will learn?
- You will learn what is needed in employee files for State Licensing
- You will learn how to complete the candidate review and hiring process
- You will help audit files to ensure every staff member is compliant
- You will learn how to create and maintain employee files
- You will learn how to work with cross-functional teams
- You will learn how to navigate the DFPS background check site
- You will learn how to file documents and other sensitive data
- You will learn how to prepare reports
- You will learn how to update information across multiple sources (hard copy, digital, websites)
- You will learn how to complete requests and gather information for third parties (e.g. employment verifications)
- You will learn how to respond to general staffing inquiries
- You will learn and complete duties as assigned
What you bring to the purpose:
- Education and Experience: You possess an interest and aptitude to work in human capital, non-profit management, or other related fields. You are proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience with database management is a plus.
- Inclusion: You work effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions.
- Teamwork: You are a team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude and you can work well with others.
- Organized and Productive: You are organized, able to prioritize tasks, and handle multiple assignments.
- Strong Communicator: You listen for understanding and meaning. You speak and write effectively.
What are the Internship Perks:
- You will receive an individual membership to all YMCA’s of Austin (over $600.00/year value).
- You will have the opportunity to work on a flexible schedule. This means you will work a combination of days at the business office and remotely.
- You will be able to enjoy your weekends!
- You will build real-world experience in hiring and staffing procedures.
- You will gain experience working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, and team.
- You will have the opportunity to attend business meetings and virtual networking events.
- You will be able to shadow and train with experienced nonprofit professionals.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.