Environment School – Yale Carbon Containment Lab
University Job Title: Research Associate 1, MS
Bargaining Unit: None – Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Fixed
If Fixed Duration, Period
1 year from date of hire
If Fixed Duration, is continuation possible?
Other Fixed Duration Date
Compensation Grade: Clinical & Research
Compensation Grade Profile: Research Associate 1 MS (22)
Wage Ranges: Click here to see our Wage Ranges
Work Location: Central Campus
95 Audubon Street New Haven, CT 06510
Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family
Total # of hours to be worked:
The Yale Carbon Containment Lab aims to design, test, and develop novel, low-cost, safe, scalable, and verifiable methods of atmospheric carbon containment and removal. Housed in the Yale School of the Environment, the CC Lab is conducting research at Yale and at pilot field sites across the U.S., working with a variety of academic and non-academic partners.
Under the direction of the Managing Directors and Project Managers, the Analyst will help create cutting-edge solutions to tackle climate change by contribute to defining, implementing, and completing analysis and field assignments in support of CC Lab applied research and development projects.
The position will:
1. Design and execute research and analysis, including a full range of quantitative and qualitative techniques.
2. Collaborate with stakeholders and decision-makers to understand their objectives and challenges.
3. Find and mine existing datasets to extract and analyze relevant data.
4. Generate primary data where none exists, for example through web research, interviews, surveys, lab bench trials, and field site data gathering.
5. Enter data and conducts quality assurance checks.
6. Analyze data with a variety of methods, including statistical analysis, spatial analysis, and Excel modeling.
7. Organize files, contacts, research, data, and other relevant information for projects following CC Lab protocols and systems.
8. Prepare and present research output in various formats including briefs, reports, and presentations.
9. Keep track of action items and next steps to advance projects.
10. Participate in CC Lab team meetings, brainstorming sessions, intern recruiting, and project
You may be asked to complete an assignment during the interview process.
1. Recommends the design and implementation of procedures and protocols under the direction of a higher-level authority. 2. Investigates, analyzes, and reaches preliminary scientific conclusions related to research planning 3. Ensures data results are compiled, analyzed, and presented properly. 4. Analyzes, develops and interprets scientific results. Maintains clear documentation of results. Prepares scientific reports and papers for research proposals and published reports. 5. Performs independent research and laboratory techniques and participates in experimental research planning. 6. Interacts with internal contacts including the PI, research assistants, graduate students, Radiation Safety and Biological Safety officers, and Animal Care personnel to discuss and evaluate research results and to ensure the smooth and safe operation of the laboratory. 7. Interacts with external contacts such as researchers at other institutions, staff at biotechnology and reagents companies to consult on research methods and to keep abreast of product information and developments. 8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in a scientific discipline and one year experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong analytical and quantitative skills, demonstrated through a record of coursework and professional experience, including but not limited to: Data Science, Statistics, Economics, Environmental Science, Earth Science, Chemical Engineering, or Environmental Engineering.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proactive self-starter, resourceful, with the ability to multi-task, learn quickly, and work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated interest in climate change, carbon removal, reduction, and mitigation. Flexible, creative thinker, and able to interpret and communicate data, science, and trends across varied fields.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Familiarity with spatial analysis tools (particularly ArcGIS), data analysis tools (such as Python), and/or life-cycle analysis (LCA) and techno-economic analysis (TEA).
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills. Strong written and oral communication skills. Prioritization of organization and preparation. Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or experimental settings and working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience and training in consulting, including strategy frameworks or economic analysis.
- Coursework or experience in qualitative research techniques, such as conducting literature reviews, interviews, surveys, case studies, and/or using qualitative data analysis software.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Please note that the university has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement; visit for details. For up-to-date information visit the COVID-19 website
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus