Working at WPP means being part of a global network of more than 100,000 talented people in 112 countries. Our company creates transformative ideas and outcomes for its clients through an integrated offer of communications, experience, commerce and technology. WPP and our award-winning agencies work with most of the world’s biggest companies and organizations – from Ford, Unilever and P&G to Google, HSBC and the UN. Our clients include 69 of the FTSE 100, 348 of the Fortune Global 500, all 30 of the Dow Jones 30 and 70 of the NASDAQ 100.
WPP has headquarters in New York, London and Singapore and a corporate presence in major markets worldwide. The company is quoted on the London Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange.
Based in New York or Chicago
About The Role
WPP is seeking a Manager, US Communications to support its corporate communications efforts in its largest market. The role places emphasis on public relations, speaking engagements, internal communications, and thought leadership development. The ideal candidate will have approximately 3 years of public relations agency experience or internal PR/comms experience in the advertising, technology or creative industries.
Qualified candidates must have experience working with a diverse portfolio of stakeholders including executives, partners, agency leaders, and the media. Along with superior writing, research, and organizational skills, the individual must have a proven track record of pitching and securing stories, as well as an innate curiosity about -and ability to spot- new trends and develop quick POVs that place our executives in the media conversation in a timely and relevant way.
This position reports directly to the Vice President, US Communications & Engagement based in New York and will work closely with members of the global team.
- Support current US media relations activities – strengthening relationships with business, trade and technology media covering WPP, as well as casting an even wider media net to reporters in new, non-advertising/marketing/media beats (eg technology, workplace culture) and publications (eg Fast Company, Wired).
- Leverage external communications internally – merchandising external activities (eg new business win announcements, media articles, keynote speeches) with employees to foster engagement with and pride in WPP.
- Build and maintain a strong knowledge of WPP, our leadership team, our strategy, objectives, and priorities, as well as the marketing and technology industry and landscape.
- Develop and draft press releases, Opeds, pitches, bios, newsletters, executive remarks and statements, award submissions, and other external and internal written communications.
- Identify and secure high profile, speaking, and media opportunities for WPP leadership team, including the CEO and various other stakeholders.
- Contribute to interview and speaking preparations for executives including the development of talking points, briefing documents, and other written and visual materials.
- Serve as lead for US media monitoring and reporting for WPP press coverage; compile clips and track all press coverage around key announcements and/or initiatives.
- Take ownership of all US internal databases and lists, including monthly and annual content calendar, editorial lists, media lists, awards and submission deadlines, as well as industry events to pitch our executives to.
- Exceptional verbal, writing, and communications skills and superior attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders, including senior executives.
- Team player who collaborates well with others across a highly matrixed organization.
- Existing press relationships within the advertising, media, and technology space.
- Ability to think and act both tactically and strategically and inspire new perspectives/approaches within the global team.
- High energy contributor with professional and pleasant interpersonal communications skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Desire to remain informed about WPP’s continued evolution and emerging trends in the marketing and technology space.
- Understanding of news cycle and how and where to break in.
- Strong relationship-building skills and, ideally, existing connections with relevant US stakeholders and media.
- Self-motivator with excellent time management skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment and generate great results.
- Familiarity with basic tools and programs including Microsoft’s full suite of products (eg Sharepoint, Teams, Powerpoint).
Who you are:
You’re open: We are inclusive and collaborative; we encourage the free exchange of ideas; we respect and celebrate diverse views. We are open-minded: to new ideas, new partnerships, new ways of working.
You’re optimistic: We believe in the power of creativity, technology, and talent to create brighter futures for our people, our clients and our communities. We approach all that we do with confidence: to try the new and to seek the unexpected.
You’re extraordinary: We are stronger together: through collaboration we achieve the amazing. We are creative leaders and pioneers of our industry; we deliver extraordinary every day.
What we’ll give you:
Passionate, driven people – We champion a culture of people that do extraordinary work.
Scale and opportunity – We offer the opportunity to create, influence and deliver projects at a scale that is unparalleled in the industry.
Challenging and stimulating work – Unique work and the opportunity to join a group of creative problem solvers. Are you up for the challenge?
At WPP, we are an equal opportunities employer. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to recruit from a diverse slate of candidates and foster an environment that provides the right conditions for long-term success. We welcome all applications regardless of race, color, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, marital status, military veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation and physical or mental disability.