$50,000 a year
Full Job Description
The Consultant for the Manhattan Kansas Outreach Center (MACC) provides consulting services small businesses to support entrepreneurs in their efforts to grow a business.
Essential Job Functions of Position
- Provide consulting services to small business owners and start-up entrepreneurs for business planning, financial projections, financial analysis, financing options, market research, marketing strategies, technology development, and other small business needs.
- Counsel clients to determine business start feasibility, job creation potential, prospective increase in sales, and access to capital in the MACC Outreach region.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver small business seminars.
- Market and promote seminars, training programs, and other services provided by Washburn’s Small Business Development Center (SBDC) that benefit NE Kansas communities within the service area.
- Participate in activities that support community relations and promote the programs of Washburn’s SBDC through the development and maintenance of professional relationships with bankers, economic development, and small business service professionals.
- Enter data and maintain client database. Generate appropriate reports and follow up meetings as needed.
- Attend and participate in KSBDC team meetings, WU Kansas SBDC staff meetings, and other statewide KSBDC events, such as Legislative Day and Small Business Awards Day.
- Participate in professional development opportunities in the areas of entrepreneurship and small business management.
- Perform additional job related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
Experience working in or with a small business, or two years of experience advising small business owners.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Effective communication skills. Commitment to and demonstrated successful experience working with diverse populations. Ability to work autonomously. Personal computer skills.
Preferred: QuickBooks, Business Planning, Human Resources, Banking, Exit Planning, Technology Commercialization, Strategic Planning, or Coding.
BBA. MBA. Small business financing or marketing experience.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Valid driving license with a driving record that meets university standards.
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Responsible for providing personal transportation to travel to and from SBDC appointments and events.
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE. Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.