Full Job Description
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, surveyors, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
VHB’s growing New York City and Long Island offices are looking for a Senior Transportation Planning Project Manager in the Transportation Planning and Civil/Site Development Disciplines to join our growing teams.
VHB is seeking experience in the Institutional Market Sector, including Health Care and Educational Facilities. Successful candidates will have proven experience in winning and executing institutional projects within the five boroughs of New York City, Long Island, Lower Hudson Valley and/or New Jersey. In addition to the responsibilities, skills, and qualifications noted below, the candidate must demonstrate an acumen for strategic thinking, business development, professional networking, have a proactive approach, and experience with developing and maintaining key client and teaming partner relationships.
- Assist the Northeast Leadership in setting the strategy for the Institutional market sector.
- Manage institutional client relationships.
- Manage projects of varying sizes in healthcare, higher education, and K-12 schools.
- Manage, mentor, and provide technical and professional development of staff.
- Monitor project financial performance.
- Attend meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss design/permitting issues.
- Supervise design team activities through all phases of project development including Construction Administration.
- Execute scope associated with transportation planning and/or site/civil engineering plans and permitting documents for projects in campus settings, where necessary.
- Coordinate work with other VHB client services that may be underway including site investigation and environmental review to support a variance or re-zoning among other services often provided to institutional clients.
- Participate in professional organizations that promote relationships with institutional owners and teaming partners.
- Develop new project opportunities and manage proposal submissions.
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to manage a multidisciplinary team of professionals
- Understanding of policy directives and their impact on the institutional marketplace
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to multitask
- Strong computer skills (Civil 3D & MS Office)
- Excels working in a team environment
- Exhibits strong leadership skills
- BS in Civil Engineering or related degree
- 15+ years of professional campus transportation planning/engineering and/or site/civil engineering experience, including project management
- Professional licensure in New York required, NJ preferred
- Experience with institutional projects required
- Experience in New York City required
- Additional experience in New Jersey, Long Island or Lower Hudson Valley preferred
Please submit applications online.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.