Urban Green Council, a non-profit organization working to advance sustainability in the urban built environment, has an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual passionate about contributing to the growing green building movement.
Urban Green is seeking an Education & Programs Intern to assist with administration, outreach, and delivery for its flagship education program, Green Professional Building Skills Training (GPRO), the Crushing the Code Energy Code (ECode) Training, in addition to assisting with administration and outreach for Urban Green’s educational events. GPRO is a national certificate program that teaches tradespeople about high performance building. For more information, please visit gpro.org. Crushing the Code is one-day programming for New York State building and design professionals, teaching code compliance. This position offers the unique opportunity to learn from leaders across the green building industry while executing interesting and timely educational programs. Candidates should be able to take on multiple projects and work independently with flexibility and enthusiasm.
This position is subsidized through the NYSERDA Clean Energy Internship Program. Students must meet all NYSERDA eligibility requirements listed at the bottom of this job description in order to be considered.
This position will be largely remote, but will require regular visits to the Urban Green office for select tasks and meetings. Some evening availability is preferred for events (in-person and virtual).
- Draft and design marketing materials with the help of the Communications Department
- Assist with outreach and social media management
- Support content creation, blogs, graphics, and video
- Keep tracking program statistics and assist in attendee data entry
- Assist with logistical planning and administrative tasks for virtual educational programs
- Background in communications or marketing
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proactive and detail oriented with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work well both independently and as a member of a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Drive
- Enrolled in a degree granting program
Additional Skills (optional but preferred)
- Interest in and understanding of green building and environmental issues
- Experience working in Adobe Suites (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Adobe Spark, etc.)
- Experience working in Hootsuite or other social media management platforms
NYSERDA Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Clean Energy Internship Program, you must be at least one of the following:
- A New York State resident currently attending any college or university, regardless of location;
- An out-of-state student currently attending a college or university located in New York State;
- A New York State resident who is 16- to 24-years of age participating in a work preparedness training program such as Board of Cooperative Educational Service (BOCES), technical high schools, AmeriCorps NCC, the Excelsior Conservation AmeriCorps, etc.; or
- New York State resident military veteran
You must also meet these eligibility requirements:
- Must reside in New York State (not Long Island), and within commute distance of downtown Manhattan, for the duration of the internship term
- Must not have held another internship through the NYSERDA program
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree-granting program in Spring 2022
Spring interns are expected to work 15-18 hours per week for 14 weeks and are paid $15/hour. The internship term will run from Jan 24 – May 6. All Urban Green interns are extended complimentary invitations to Urban Green educational programs and events. They will also receive a one-year Urban Green membership upon completion of their internship.
How To Apply
- Excellence: We strive for innovative high-quality programs and ideas.
- Inclusion: The diverse voices and backgrounds of our employees, board of directors, members, and partners make us stronger.
- Collaboration: We believe consensus delivers better solutions and teamwork is essential to our success.
- Engagement: We promote a culture of performance, participation, and curiosity.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Urban Green Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.