The United Nations Foundation (the UN Foundation) was created in an act of innovative philanthropy to be an agile and strategic partner for the United Nations in advancing its highest goals and values. The Foundation works to mobilize ideas, people, and resources to solve global challenges at scale, from global health security to climate change, and grow a diverse and durable constituency for effective collective action. The Foundation focuses on issues at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals, building initiatives across sectors and engaging diverse influencers and constituencies to drive global progress.
The Special Assistant is responsible for supporting the President and CEO through a combination of writing and research, and project development. Manages special projects and taskings. Works alongside the President and CEO in producing Board communications. Works independently and with senior leadership across the Foundation. Sensitivity to confidential matters, a high level of professionalism, tact and diplomacy are paramount. Expected to accompany President and CEO in meetings with major partners and stakeholders take notes and help organize follow up actions. The Special Assistant will help to advance the organization’s work on issues ranging from climate change the SDGs to global public health and multilateral innovation. The successful candidate will have the versatility to support work that includes policy innovation, advocacy, communications, and project design.
Working closely with the Chief of Staff, s/he will help issue tasking and track projects that are new for the President and CEO and contribute to briefings/materials to support the President and CEO’s work and engagements as needed.
The successful candidate will have an interest in working across a wide variety of policy and substantive issues, demonstrate intellectual curiosity about the United Nations and global cooperation, show aptitude for international policy settings, and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and multicultural environment.
- Oversee writing and research projects for the Executive Office
- Manage project development supporting and ensuring completion
- Shape, draft, and edit briefings, talking points and other material for President and CEO meetings, speaking engagements, and related work
- Undertake research, writing, and special projects to advance key policy and institutional initiatives.
- Manage executive communications including social media content, speechwriting/talking points, and briefing notes
- Accompany President and CEO in meetings to prepare reports and meeting notes including strategizing next steps and taskings
- Ensure project management and support on special projects that advance organizational priorities
- Provide surge support to Executive Office and other teams across the organization as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required in Political Science, International Affairs, History, Journalism, or a related field; advanced degree or equivalent strongly preferred
- 5 or more years of related work experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and political judgment
- General knowledge of global issues and the UN system and an understanding of the UN Foundation’s mission, programs, strategy, and goals
- Attention to detail and high degree of organization
- Ability to take initiative, self-starter
- Exceptional political acumen
- Speechwriting experience is a plus
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.