The Climate & Environment Research Associate will contribute to UNF’s international climate and environment work, including on ocean, shipping, and climate science, as well as climate diplomacy and finance. The Climate & Environment Research Associate will help develop and execute on key UNF programmatic priorities, as well as analyze and research international climate and ocean-related policies and trends. This will be a writing-intensive position, requiring the ability to draft and edit a range of products for diverse audiences, including briefing papers, op-eds, internal memos, and blogs. The successful candidate will also contribute to the organization and execution of high-impact public and private meetings and events, liaise with current and former UN and government officials, and perform various administrative tasks.
The Climate & Environment Research Associate will be a member of a highly collaborative, collegial, and committed team based in Washington, D.C.
- Help support UNF programmatic efforts focused on ocean issues, maritime shipping, and climate science, as well as climate diplomacy and finance
- Research and analyze policies and trends and develop new insight into the international climate, ocean, and environmental spheres
- Produce and edit a range of written materials for internal and external audiences. The target audience will range from policy experts to the general public, so versatility is important
- Contribute to and support the organization and execution of public and private meetings and events
- Liaise effectively with current and former United Nations and members state government officials
- Work with team members to draft and execute contracts and agreements; help develop funding proposals, secure payments, and ensure timely submission of grant reporting; and work to ensure that payments to consultants and outside organizations are made in a timely manner.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Two to four years of relevant work experience
- Experience working in or with government preferred
- Diplomatic and able to work effectively with leaders across a range of government, private sector, and civil society organizations
- Strong writing, research, analytical, presentation, and briefing skills
- Experience in events management preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Flexible and adaptable, with an ability to prioritize multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Personal discretion with sensitive information
- Commitment to the UN Foundation’s mission
- Writing sample will be required as part of the interview process for this role
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.