Term Duration: 4 years
Recruitment Type:International Recruitment
Location:Washington, DC,United States
Preferred Language(s):French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic
Closing Date:9/28/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA or the Agency) is a member of the World Bank Group, and our mission is to promote foreign direct investment into developing countries to help end extreme poverty and boost share prosperity. We do that through the provision of political risk insurance and credit enhancement to investors and lenders against losses caused by noncommercial risks. For more information, visit www.miga.org.
MIGA, through the work of the Environment, Social and Climate (MIGSC) unit, focuses on working with our clients and businesses to address environmental and social risks and impacts, climate change, and reputational risk management and foster sustainable practices in all sectors including, agribusiness, manufacturing, services, infrastructure, natural resources and financial markets. Core functions of the unit include the assessment of the environmental and social sustainability, climate risks/vulnerability, greenhouse gases (GHG) and climate finance accounting, and assessment of gender-based violence (GBV), sexual exploitation, abuse and/or sexual harassment of projects where MIGA support is being considered, as well as the monitoring of compliance of projects with MIGA’s environmental and social policies. MIGSC collaborates with the other units in MIGA to ensure the implementation of the Agency’s policies and procedures.
MIGSC is recruiting two dynamic Environmental and Social Development Specialists with expertise in environmental and/or social assessment and risk management. The primary responsibility for the tasks are listed below. The positions will be based at MIGA’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
Roles & Responsibility:
The Environmental and Social Development Specialist will be required to undertake the following tasks:
• Assess the potential environmental and social (E&S) risks and/or impacts of assigned projects against the requirements of MIGA Performance Standards (PSs) on Environmental and Social Sustainability.
• Prepare a written summary of the project and potential E&S risks and impacts for public disclosure on MIGA’s website.
• Define steps required to ensure compliance with the PSs and the WBG Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines.
• Work with MIGA clients to ensure plans are developed and projects will comply with MIGA’s Policy on Environmental and Social Sustainability.
• Articulate (verbally and in writing) key environmental and social risks and impacts to project teams and Management.
• For assigned existing projects being supported by MIGA guarantees, monitor compliance with MIGA’s PSs, the WBG EHS guidelines, sector specific guidelines, other relevant policies, and contract specific conditions.
• Provide training on E&S issues to MIGA clients, internal staff and other Specialists, when needed.
• Contribute to corporate knowledge base by analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific MIGA projects.
• Work together with the rest of MIGA’s Environmental, Social and Climate team and coordinate closely with MIGA’s Departments on assigned projects and corporate tasks.
• Represent MIGA at technical meetings, industry events and environmental and/or social fora.
• Collaborate with World Bank and IFC colleagues on joint projects as well as other colleagues from multilateral development institutions when supporting same projects.
• Master’s degree with at least 5 years of proven experience in environment and/or social management and assessment, or equivalent combination of education and experience, in a relevant discipline including Environment, Social Science, Engineering
• A track record in working with private sector firms across industry sectors to identify environmental and/or social risks and issues and develop mitigation measures.
• Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse environmentally-related data and information.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• International experience required and ability to travel to developing countries.
• Sound knowledge of IFC/MIGA Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability or similar standards would be an advantage.
• Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected peoples, government officials, NGO’s / civil society, as well as project investors and their staff.
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills are essential, French or Spanish are highly desirable.