About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 13,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About The Role
We seek an energetic and resourceful professional to join the US Casualty Treaty underwriting team. This role is focused on actuarial analysis and pricing in the Actuarial Analytics Team within the North American Casualty Hub. The position will have a focus on supporting the Professional Liability segment with some involvement in other Casualty lines. The role also is involved in support of our strategy for our various portfolios. This role engages in and supports client cross-functional teams ensuring a high quality of pricing, underwriting, and innovative product development. In cooperation with the client, broker, and portfolio cross-functional teams, this role ensures that Swiss Re’s technical capabilities and value-added services are leveraged sensibly.
About The Team
The Casualty team is responsible for a wide range of US ceding companies, including direct and broker-produced business. The team includes senior actuaries and underwriters who work with corresponding client managers and other staff including claims, risk management, reserving, contracts specialists and legal. We are primarily based in Armonk, NY and work with stakeholders in several Swiss Re offices including Schaumburg and Chicago, IL, New York, NY, and Kansas City, MO.
The Professional Lines Treaty Team is a line of business specialist team in the Casualty Treaty Underwriting Division focused on profitable underwriting and pricing of Directors and Officers, Errors and Omissions, Professional Liability, Cyber, and Transactional Risk treaty business for Swiss Re. The team handles all client segments, including Globals, Regional, and Specialty and is market and broker facing. The team is fast paced, highly collaborative, and is recognized as a market leader.
About the role
- Represents Swiss Re as a strong Professional Lines player within his/her market segment, both internally and externally
- Fosters a collaborative team spirit and culture of consultative sales, innovative solution creation and smart business origination
- Utilizes advanced mathematical knowledge in combination with tool knowledge to manage and analyze data, assess the risk and calculate the expected loss
- Demonstrates an understanding of contract/policy wording and applies this knowledge to analyze and interpret the structure and contents of (re)insurance contracts, and understands the interaction between such provisions
- Understands and has awareness of casualty (re-) insurance market trends, risk landscape and regulatory developments that may affect Swiss Re’s casualty business
- Ensures compliance with guidelines and manages the process of risk analysis and structuring
- Develops new ideas, and innovative products which address client needs in collaboration with the cross-functional team
- Establishes relationships with clients, and brings client focused thinking to cross-functional teams
- Provides product support and services to clients in collaboration with Senior Treaty Underwriter and Client market team
- Supports the Head of US Financial Lines Underwriting, Global Financial Lines Portfolio owners, and peer Senior Actuaries in performing pricing and underwriting data quality checks
- Ensures compliance and contributes to the process for underwriting activities
- Contributes to all relevant Desk- and Hub-level report generation and deal-specific reporting requirements
Training And Development
- Continues to upgrade his/her underwriting, actuarial and sales skills
- Participates in peer training
- Associate or Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS or FCAS)
- 8+ years of reinsurance casualty treaty pricing experience with Financial/Professional lines experience preferred
- A undergraduate degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Outstanding communication skills is essential; ability to present complex ideas/analysis to a range of internal stakeholders and externally with clients and brokers.
- Ability to lead external meetings with clients and brokers on technical subjects with actuaries and underwriters.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team oriented environment with other actuaries, underwriters and executives in a cooperative and open manner, including flexibility when working with remote locations.
- Ability to incorporate forward looking views of the market and commercialism in underwriting decisions
- Analytical thinker with strong problem recognition and solving skills that is hungry for continuous learning.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel; proficiency in Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to identify and accommodate different points of view, form networks of positive business relationships and ensure consensus-building
- Ability to make decisions utilizing sound judgement
- Good consultative sales skills
- Passion to perform by stepping up and taking personal responsibility and inspiring others through enthusiasm and commitment
- Ability to travel
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual’s qualifications for the position being filled.
During the recruitment process, reasonable accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. If contacted for an interview, please inform the Recruiter/HR Professional of the accommodation needed.
Reference Code: 104502