Full Job Description
Overview: Skyward Specialty is a property and casualty insurance holding company formed in 2007. Based in Houston, Texas, and with staff throughout the country, Skyward Specialty provides admitted and non-admitted solutions to retail and wholesale distributors, managing general agents and captive markets. We have built highly respected businesses in specialty lines including management professional liability, medical stop loss, surety, E&S property and liability, and large commercial property, as well as multi-line solutions for the energy, trucking and construction industries.
At Skyward Specialty, we approach this business differently. In fact, we’re different from most others in our industry in just about every way. We have the spirit of a start-up with the security of nearly $1 billion in Written Premium. We put immense brain power and energy into finding greater insights to uncover better opportunities for our clients, partners, and people. We think at a higher level, so they can succeed at a higher level.
Skyward Specialty is a privately owned company with assets exceeding $1.95 billion and shareholders’ equity of $395 million at December 31, 2020.
We are committed to a Diverse Workforce*
Skyward Specialty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nativity, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. For more information about us please visit www.skywardinsurance.com
Responsibilities: Skyward Specialty Insurance is actively seeking intern candidates for our 2022 summer program.
As a company we are dynamic, entrepreneurial, and agile. We challenge each other by setting high standards and being accountable. We foster an environment that is diverse, inclusive, collaborative, and highly interconnected. We strive for personal and professional growth with the goal of continually improving our performance. We are high achievers who are also humble enough to know that we must be a cohesive team to maximize our results.
Does this sound like you? If so, please keep reading.
This internship in our Actuarial team will focus on multiple projects. These projects will expose the candidate to important actuarial concepts such as IBNR, loss development factors, trends, managing large amounts of data, developing templates, and developing reports that will give them a concise summary of the indications and conclusions.
A successful intern will also:
- Have the opportunity to assist with real world, challenging projects that add value to the organization.
- Learn about our industry, our business, and our operations through both formal presentations and informal, on the job training.
- Build relationships and network with experts, leaders, and industry veterans willing to share knowledge and advice.
- Gain valuable, foundational experiences that will both prepare you for your profession and help inform your future career decisions.
Additional details on our program:
- The program will be 10 weeks long, from 5/31/22-8/5/22.
- The schedule is full-time, Monday through Friday, during standard business hours. We will also schedule a few after hour, fun events to promote networking and camaraderie, as circumstances allow.
- You will have an assigned mentor who will guide your project and your experience with Skyward for the summer.
- The summer will end with presentations by the students to members of company management, as well as the other interns, to summarize their project(s) and learnings.
- Degree program in Actuarial Science (preferred), Math, Statistics, Economics or similar (Bachelors or Masters candidates)
- Students must be actively enrolled and on schedule to graduate in the fall of 2022 or the spring semester of 2023
- Cumulative GPA must be 3.0 or higher
- Students must have access to lodging in the internship location without company assistance
- Students must be permanently authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
Location: 48 Headquarters Plaza,North Tower 9th Floor, Morristown, NJ 07960
Job Type: Internship
Work Location: Multiple Locations