THE OPPORTUNITY / RESPONSIBILITIES
Associate Data Science Analysts serve at the intersection of Business and Technology. The data science team undertakes large analytical projects involving classical statistics, machine learning, and model deployment via endpoints. The data science associates are involved in all steps of the data projects undertaken by the team, from the initial scoping of a project and exploratory analysis to the productionalization, presentation, and maintenance of the final output. You will also work closely with the Data Engineering team to construct and maintain the data pipelines necessary for our data science projects.
The ideal candidate is highly analytical, passionate about hypothesis-driven problem-solving, and excellent at developing data solutions, and requires strong communication skills, the ability to manage project scope and deadlines, and a commitment to delivering the highest quality in all projects. Analysts recognize that a collaborative mindset and a “can do” attitude is key in order to learn, contribute and grow at Scholastic. The role serves a range of functions across Scholastic’s businesses, covering financial analysis, customer analytics, web analytics, and analysis of offline activities.
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books, a leading provider of print and digital instructional materials for pre-K to grade 12, and a producer of educational and entertaining children’s media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs, classroom magazines and other products that, in combination, offer schools customized solutions to support children’s learning both at school and at home. The Company also makes quality, affordable books available to all children through school-based book clubs and book fairs. With a 100+ year history of service to schools and families, Scholastic continues to carry out its commitment to “Open a World of Possible” for all children. Learn more at Scholastic.com/AboutScholastic.
About the Associate Program
Scholastic’s Technology Associate Program is designed to identify, train, and promote the next generation of leaders. Each new-hire class receives comprehensive training and is quickly given responsibility to deliver on business goals using industry-leading tools, partners, and technology – all while working in an agile, iterative model that emphasizes collaboration, transparency, and goal-oriented development.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
- Graduation date in Fall/Winter of 2021 or Spring/Summer of 2022
- Undergraduate/Graduate degree in economics, finance, computer science, math, statistics, engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Strong SQL skills for purposes of data extraction, transformation, cleaning and analysis
- Ability to collaborate with data engineers as well as non-technical business owners
- Exceptional problem-solving ability, logical reasoning, creative thinking and quantitative aptitude
- Strong Excel, R or Python skills in analysis, statistics and charting
Preferred (but not required) Skills and Knowledge
- Experience with real-world applications of statistics or machine learning
- AWS Sagemaker/Jupyter Notebooks
- Experience in Python with APIs, model containers and endpoints