Full Job Description
HR Directions seeks a prospect for its client RTI International for the Innovation Consulting Internship within the Innovation Advisors Group.
Do you believe in the power of innovation to solve the world’s toughest challenges? Are you passionate about technology and excited to tell compelling stories? Do you want to work for a mission-driven organization filled with smart people who are passionate about what they do and who want to make the world a better place? If yes, you may be the right person to join RTI Innovation Advisors (RTIIA). Our team has been helping clients solve their toughest technology and innovation challenges for more than 50 years. We help our clients innovate by building innovation capacity, providing insight, and accelerating technology from lab to market. Anchored within a non-profit research institute, the Innovation Advisors deliver consulting services and analyses that are rooted in research.
The Innovation Consulting Intern will work alongside and receive mentorship by the Innovation Advisors and staff to conduct tasks related to market research and commercialization of new technologies that are often outside the scope of a candidate’s current study or experience. We’re looking for a driven, enthusiastic team member who can help our team conduct research which helps launch products and services into the market, inform important decisions, and forge commercialization partnerships. The intern will hone thier consulting skills through conducting primary and secondary market research, analyzing and synthesizing insights, and delivering these insights to the client. Our work is fast paced, challenging, and varied. The selected candidate will support a wide variety of industries, including food, sustainable packaging, consumer products, manufacturing, criminal justice, aerospace, and more.
- Conduct research using secondary resources (published company information, SEC filings, scholarly journals, trade literature, and news articles), as well as primary resources (phone interviews) when needed
- Provide insightful analysis of opportunities identified during primary and secondary research in written and oral format
- Develop marketing descriptions of new technologies and conduct research in a wide range of technology areas and industries
- Understand business and legal issues related to commercialization of new technologies
- Apply general technical acumen and scientific skills to evaluate a variety of technologies
RTI’s Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI’s open and educational culture; support RTI’s mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This paid virtual internship will take place from January 2022 through May 2022. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student with a broad technical scientific background in engineering, science, or a related field with career interest in innovation, technology commercialization and consulting
- Demonstrated comfort and willingness to regularly work outside the scope of the candidate’s technical field of study
- Exceptional written and oral communication, time management, and analytical skills
- Experience or career interest in digital sciences, data analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud computer, virtual/augmented reality, and related technologies
- Knowledge of or previous experience with product or process development, portfolio mapping/valuation, market research, technology evaluation, and/or technology transfer
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Motivated, hardworking student with a passion for technology commercialization and consulting