The Startup Intelligence Intern’s work will center around D3’s climate tech startup database. The database is a key part of D3’s selection process, insight generation, and value proposition to our ecosystem partners. We use it to understand the competitive landscape, track technology trends and progress, and search for the best startups.
To date we have collected data on 800+ startups who have applied to our program. The intern will be working with Airtable–a very intuitive tool with similar functionality to common spreadsheet programs like Excel–to continuously clean, organize, update and supplement this information.
The intern will gain hands-on experience with a wide range of new technologies and business models. The intern will also join calls with venture capital investors as well as corporate sustainability and innovation teams from around the world, learning about their perspectives, and how they make investment and partnership decisions.
Application Deadline: November 5th, 2021
Time Commitment: This internship is designed to be part-time (10-20 hours per week) while you are in school. It would then move to a full-time position in Summer 2022.
- Helping to design a database that will create value from existing research and applicant data as well as subsequent one.
- Helping to maintain and expand on existing database content by regularly cleaning and rationalizing data as well as adding new data as it becomes available
- Researching climate tech startups from around the world, with guidance from D3 team members, to understand what is unique about the technology, business model, or other innovation. Compare these startups with competitors from an investment, business, and climate impact perspective.
- Join discussions with investor and corporate partners to better understand their perspective and help them get the most value from our database
- Leverage the database to support the D3 team in performing analysis and publishing insights briefs on key clean energy technologies—e.g., pulling data from the database and displaying this data in a useful format such as a competitive landscape map of startups working on a specific technology area
- Currently enrolled in a college/university program
- A passionate desire to learn and the ability to learn quickly
- Creative problem solving skills. Comfort working with uncertainty
- Robust analytical skills, detail-oriented, organized, proactive, and self-motivated
- Academic background in science or engineering
- Passion for solving climate change
- Good communication skills. Ability to independently make field calls with corporate/investor partners as well as startup applicants
- Experience/coursework focused on managing, organizing, and visualizing data
- Software API/coding experience
- Entrepreneurship experience
- Climate warrior with a prominent track record of developing or championing climate tech innovation
Remote within the U.S.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
*Please note not all benefits are available to part time employees
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to develop a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
About New Energy Nexus New Energy Nexus is a non-profit international organization that strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. To achieve this goal, New Energy Nexus supports diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California and now operate programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia and East Africa.
JOB CODE: 1000426
Apply for this position