Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help the leading organizations, businesses, activists, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change. To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action and creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Project Manager at Purpose, you will work jointly with the Project Lead(s) and Project Principal(s) to successfully deliver projects to our clients while keeping Purpose accountable and disciplined internally.
You will report to the Head of Project Management, and be based in Purpose’s New York headquarters. Candidates who can begin immediately are strongly encouraged to apply. This role will be remote for the next few months, until it is safe to go back to normal office operations.
Salary will be discussed in the first interview. We are looking for candidates who are at the Associate Manager or Manager tier, which has a salary range of $63,000 – $85,000 plus benefits.
Account and Project Management – As a Project Manager, you will manage the day-to-day communication and operational aspects of our projects. Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all tactical or operational questions about the project within Purpose, and from vendors/freelancers.
- Nurture and grow client relationships by establishing professional, trust-based partnerships between clients and Purpose.
- Drive client service and serve as a day-to-day contact for clients in conjunction with project lead.
- Seek opportunities for new business with existing and future client partners.
- Partner with project functional leads to ensure timely delivery of top-quality content for clients.
- Manage and schedule project meetings, both internally and with clients.
- Organize client feedback, manage feedback integration, and follow-up on changes.
- Capture notes, summarized decisions, and next steps for internal and external meetings.
- Create and maintain detailed timelines / work plans for all project deliverables and key milestones; hold delivery teams (i.e. strategy, campaigns, creative, freelancers, vendors) accountable to project plans.
- Track project budget finances and staff hours consistently and accurately based on time management systems within project budget tracker systems.
- Identify stakeholders and attendees for crucial recurring and ad-hoc discussions; escalate communications (as needed) between Client and Purpose teams to align on expectations, roles, goals, and solutions for roadblocks.
- Lead project status update meetings and communications to internal teams and clients.
- Support the Project Lead(s) in preparing project kickoffs, weekly client check-ins, project debriefs and/and pause-and-reflect sessions to identify and capture recommendations for future execution.
- Support ad-hoc project needs, including CMS content population, CMS walkthroughs, and functional QA testing on websites.
Internal Operations – In addition to project work, you will help keep the internal operational wheels of Purpose turning by:
- Own the coordination of Project Start / Midpoint / Close, meetings with Managing Director, VP of Finance, Project Principal and Project Lead. Maintain supporting project data to inform discussions and decisions.
- Work closely with Resource & Operations Managers to ensure appropriate resources are available to deliver client work and maximize performance and productivity. Ensure quality of freelancers and vendors and manage contract processes internally.
- Gather and summarizing key takeaways for Project Dashboards (to share insights on project’s team/client/financial health) that inform our Executive team
- Work closely with our Finance team to confirm the accuracy and schedule of invoices (client, freelancers, and vendors) in our approval management system.
- Work closely with the Head of Project Management to capture feedback throughout the project lifecycle and to contribute to the iteration of existing processes aimed at making project delivery more effective.
- Initiate thought leadership projects that enhance our reputation and add value to our client work.
- Develop and maintain professional development and mentoring relationships with managees.
- Contribute to processes and tool development to improve PM practice and employee experience at Purpose.
We think you will be a successful candidate if you hold:
- 5+ years of project management or account management experience in a fast-paced, agency environment (i.e. design services, creative agencies, video production, strategy consulting, event production, community engagement, workshops, or digital marketing), demonstrating a consistent ability to deliver against project plans on time and on budget.
- Ability to be diplomatic and solutions-oriented under stress; demonstrate impeccable communication skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal skills (listening/empathy)
- A keen attention to detail and budgetary restraints
- Full awareness of creative processes and techniques — including digital platforms
- Excellent track record of time management, systems organization, and follow-up
- Agility and flexibility towards evolving responsibilities and last minute project changes
- Facilitation skills for navigating complex internal and external conversations with multiple stakeholders
- Collaborative and inclusive ethos about working with global teams that are from diverse backgrounds
- Critical thinker, have high integrity, a team player with hands-on attitude, and a passionate problem-solving spirit
- Skilled in creating and maintaining spreadsheets.
- Experienced with Google Suite, and adept in building and updating slides in presentation decks (Google Slides)
- Have a demonstrated interest in social impact issues and advocacy
- Are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.