About the Physicians Committee
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research. Our vision is to create a healthier world through a new emphasis on plant-based nutrition, and scientific research conducted ethically, without using animals. We invite you to visit our YouTube channel, our website, and Physicians Committee president Dr. Neal Barnard’s blog.
About the Communications Team
The Physicians Committee’s Communications team works to maximize publicity for our campaigns, programs, and research studies through traditional and social media. The team oversees all media relations, social media, videos, advertising, digital marketing, and website management for the organization.
About this Career Opportunity
The Communications Coordinator will promote the Physicians Committee’s campaigns, scientific studies, books, conferences, and videos in print, broadcast, digital, and social media. They will also obtain news coverage that helps our program achieve goals such as persuading hospitals to provide plant-based options and persuading medical training programs to switch to simulation.
Essential functions and specific duties include:
- Create and itch newsworthy packages with specific results in mind
- Write news releases and pitch notes
- Contact journalists by phone and email; set up interviews for journalists with our staff experts
- Help prepare our spokespeople for interviews
- Respond immediately to journalists requesting interviews or information
- Participate in strategy meetings with program team members
- Gather and organize information and health statistics for our newsworthy campaigns
- Write newsworthy advertisements and coordinate with the publications team to produce the advertisements
· Write and send out letters, op-eds, releases via Cision or PR NewsWire
· Prepare and distribute press kits and other information packets
· Monitor and post on social media accounts, ensuring our online presence is up-to-date and professional
This is a full-time position that may be performed at our office or remotely from any location in the United States. The Physicians Committee is headquartered in Washington, D.C. (Friendship Heights on Metro’s Red Line).
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a communications professional with at least three years of media relations, social, writing, and/or other communications experience and a keen news sense. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated success with:
· Staying on top of all tasks and meeting deadlines while ensuring that all external communications are accurate, reflect nuances, capture subtleties, and fit the audience.
· Approaching work with a spirit of yes, striking a positive tone, pushing work forward through obstacles, adapting quickly as things change, and finding solutions to problems.
· Maintaining a sense of urgency while working efficiently through competing priorities.
· Developing and cultivating excellent relationships with teammates and other departments.
If you have these qualifications and are passionate about the Physicians Committee’s mission, we’d like to hear from you.
How to Apply
We require a formal cover letter and resume to apply. In your cover letter, please tell us about your interest in our mission, your related experience and accomplishments, and your professional goals. Click here to apply. We look forward to hearing from you! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.