Outerknown Sustainability Senior Leadership Opportunity
Consider joining the team at Outerknown. We exist to find your Outerknown, which can be described as the furthest reaches of what we know possible in design and development to build clothing in harmony with this planet while taking care of the people we work with and the precious resources we utilize along the way. A community where we value all people equally and are passionate about respecting our planet.
Outerknown is seeking to find a Sustainability Leader with 5-10 years’ experience in a sustainability/corporate responsibility. Demonstrated leadership, systems thinking and creativity to lead cross-functional partners in creating and implementing strategy and roadmaps. Strong ability to identify and prioritize opportunities and drive execution.
- Represent Outerknown externally and drive industry-wide solutions with partners both inside and outside the apparel space
- Define, build, and drive traceability roadmap & strategy
- Lead executive steering committee and communicate progress against initiatives, risk levels, roadblocks, and asks to leadership
- Collaborate closely with key internal partners, including Raw Materials, Product Development, Innovation, Design, Merchandising and Marketing as well as external stakeholders.
- Lead roadmap creation and drive the implementation of Outerknown product and materials sustainability strategy and initiatives, in partnership with key business units/leaders
- Build measurement systems and ensure reporting that enables decision-making to achieve internal goals, including scorecards, seasonal dashboards and forecasts, and other reporting.
- Build business cases, budgets, and program requests for initiatives
- Monitor and report on progress towards goals
- Develop and deploy training materials to educate internal teams (including designers, supply chain, licensees, etc.) around sustainability claim verification and marketing
- Review, analyze and provide strategic recommendations related to improving adoption of environmentally preferred materials
- Communicate effectively to advance product and material specific sustainability initiatives with internal and external parties
- Develop partnerships and as appropriate represent Outerknown interests at external meetings and conferences, to accelerate shared progress and achieve our targets
- Focus on innovations with a five to ten year time horizon
- Build future-looking sustainable material, trims and packaging landscape that includes but is not limited to natural fibers, biosynthetics, recycled-content materials, regenerative materials, biodegradable and compostable materials and innovative packaging.
- Experience managing and deploying comprehensive programs across internal and external stakeholder groups
- Project management in a cross-functional, multi-faceted, fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to establish cross functional, collaborative relationships with business partners
- Strong influencing skills as the business transformation will require working with the executive team to provide recommendations and guide teams to make decisions in a timely manner. Demonstrates the ability to manage product environmental or corporate responsibility-related programs; Knowledge of the apparel industry, consumer goods industry, product development or supply chain preferred
- Experience with product creation sustainability, product life cycle assessment tools and the application of life cycle analysis to business decision-making
- Knowledge of and experience working with product sustainability standards and certifications including GOTS, GRS/RCS.
- Advanced MS Excel skills that can be used to combine and analyze data from various sources, and generate reports and graphics to help drive decision-making
- Positive and team-oriented attitude with a proactive approach, exceptional work ethic
- Strong problem-solving abilities with a solutions-oriented mindset
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and strong influencing skills in all levels
- Ability to anticipate needs and challenges, respond to changing demands, and produce deliverables on tight turnaround
- Able to leverage multiple sources of research and synthesize large amount of information to digestible and actionable projects
- Able to think creatively around how to structure the pilots when thinking through best way to partner and execute
- Able to communicate clearly the objective and plan for the pilots both internally and externally
- Able to craft and tell a compelling story when influencing various partners involved in the pilot
- Positive attitude
- Extremely curious and inquisitive
University Degree, MBA preferred
This position will be based in our corporate office in Culver City, CA.