Oliver Wyman provides customized actuarial services and strategic insight, supporting clients as they strive to exceed their business objectives.Our exceptional client and employee retention exemplify our commitment to relationships built on trust, responsiveness and clear communication.
The Actuarial Practice of Oliver Wyman is an operating division of the Oliver Wyman Group, a member of the Marsh & McLennan Companies (MMC), the foremost employer of actuaries in the world.The US Life Actuarial Practice of Oliver Wyman works with organizations to manage their insurance risks using advanced actuarial and modeling techniques and has over 130 employees across 10 offices in North America.Oliver Wyman is recognized by Fortune as one of the 100 Best Companies to work for in 2019.
Oliver Wyman uses mathematical and statistical modeling skills and our qualitative assessment methodologies to assist our clients in evaluating and addressing risk. Our solutions help clients to manage and prepare for the potential financial consequences of uncertain future events.
Oliver Wyman provides a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an Actuarial Study Program.Explore all the benefits offered at www.connect.mmc.com.
The US Life Practice of Oliver Wyman strives to be the consulting firm of choice for clients and employees, and to be recognized as the premier life, annuity and LTC actuarial consultancy by fostering the power of ideas to lead our industry, consistently helping clients achieve their strategic objectives, and gaining trusted advisor status. The practice seeks to inspire an entrepreneurial culture which fosters free flowing ideas, values diversity, and allows for challenges to the status quo. Its colleagues are proud to perform exciting, diverse, and leading-edge work.
The US Life Practice of Oliver Wyman seeks to invest in its people by fostering a safe and inclusive environment, respecting and welcoming different perspectives, promoting an ownership culture, providing opportunities for individuals to develop their personal brand, and celebrating successes and rewarding performance.
Office/Regions available: Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Hartford, Kansas City, New York and Seattle; remote positions may be considered as well.
Job Title: Life Actuarial Data Engineer/Data Scientist
Our US Life Practice is enhancing our expertise in the data and technology space. We are seeking individuals to support client projects related to the modernization of actuarial data and analytical processes and data science initiatives.
As a Consultant, you will work alongside Oliver Wyman’s industry leaders and other experienced consultants and will be expected to contribute to a broad range of client projects, including advising clients with end-to-end data solution architecture, documenting detailed requirements and implementing the solution in the technology of choice. You will achieve significant interaction and visibility with Oliver Wyman’s clients, which include top tier insurance companies, reinsurance companies, investment banks, law firms, state regulators, and private equity firms.
Potential projects may include:
- Data: Building required infrastructure for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from various data sources using Cloud technologies
- Process Improvements: Identifying, designing and implementing process improvements including re-designing data infrastructure for greater scalability, optimizing data delivery, and automating manual processes; Rationalize and engineer future state data workflow processes including key controls, error handling, data governance and logical transformations of data
- Test and Troubleshoot: Writing unit/integration tests, contributing to engineering wiki, and documentation work; Performs data analysis required to troubleshoot data related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues
- Collaboration: Collaborates with actuarial, business and IT teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering data-driven decision making across the client organization; Own and document business and data requirements working with actuaries, business, data scientists and IT
Data Science, Deployment and Reporting
- Deployment: Deploying Actuarial and predictive models into production environments by providing the model with data stored in different environments, configuring data attributes, managing computing resources, setting up monitoring tools, etc.
- Data Science: Ability to write code/scripts for data transformation and support clients with predictive analytics proof-of-concepts and implementations using principles and techniques of machine learning/artificial intelligence
- Reporting: Use third-party visualization tools to manipulate, query, assess and analyze data including the capture, identification and resolution to bad data or unusual changes in data; Create pre-defined and self-service reports and dashboards using third-party tools and apply visual data discovery and other principles of data visualization
Other projects and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following, which the successful candidate may perform personally or lead others in performing:
- Lead successful project execution
- Advise clients on solution design and modernization of pre and post actuarial model processes
- Support the implementation of improved data processes in Cloud Technology tool set
- Lead or participate in client sales meetings including the development of proposals
- Provide thought leadership, develop intellectual capital (tools, presentations, surveys, case studies and marketing support) and present at industry meetings
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the “why,” and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Work in partnership with Oliver Wyman’s Digital Practice and IT and offshoring partners
- Hire and train staff to expand our data and technology offerings and execution capabilities
Qualifications And Desired Skills
- Minimum five years’ experience in data and technology space with last three years’ experience in designing and implementing modern data solutions within cloud architecture in either AWS or Azure ecosystem. Certifications as AWS developer or architect; Microsoft Azure is a plus. Experience working with pre and post model actuarial data is a plus
- Minimum two years’ experience with programming languages like Python, R or Spark. Python experience preferred.
- Prior experience with writing code for querying data using SQL, NoSQL, etc.
- Proficiency with analytical and visualization tools (e.g., Alteryx, PowerBI, Qlik, Tableau)
- Ability to design the analytical future state including data access from data warehouses, fact and dimension data models, visualization tool selection, personas and their usage of the toolset
- Experience with architecting end to end system design and data warehouse modeling
- Track record of rapid learning, high performance, and professional growth
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management and time management skills
- Understanding of the value of collaboration, and the ability to work effectively in a team setting
- Deep critical-thinking skills and problem-solving ability
- Highly motivated individual and willingness to work in a dynamic environment
- Industry recognition related to data and technology coupled knowledge of life and annuity products and new regulations of LDTI, IFRS-17, PBR is preferred but not needed
- Actuarial credentials are a plus
Oliver Wyman is committed to the principles for equal employment opportunity and complies with all relevant federal, state, and local laws.