Full Job Description
About NYC Health + Hospitals
Harlem Hospital Center has been a bedrock of the Harlem community since 1887. The hospital provides a wide range of medical, surgical, diagnostic, therapeutic and family support services to the residents of Central Harlem, West Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood. Harlem is the largest hospital in the area, capable of treating the most seriously ill. Harlem provides over 90 specialized ambulatory care services, dentistry and oral surgery, behavioral health services, and community substance abuse treatment.
The Employee Relations Specialist serves as a subject matter expert to advise employees and leaders on the proper procedure in handling employment matters and issues including employee relations, performance management, and employment law matters. Influences others regarding policies, practices, and procedures. Develops human resources solutions by collecting and analyzing information, presenting, and recommending courses of action.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coach/advise employees and management through sensitive HR issues to resolve conflict and seek workable solutions.
- Interact with all levels of leadership regarding legal compliance, discipline, termination´s, and negotiated separations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members, management, and employees at all levels of the organization; use reason and de-escalation skills to manage difficult or emotional situations; present facts and recommendations verbally and in writing.
- Investigate work-related or compliance issues and prepares summary reports, conclusions and recommendations.
- Provide advice and counsel to supervisors on employee team member issues as they relate to compliance with regulations and laws.
- Contribute to creating and updating company policies and educate business partners (team members and managers) around HR policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Manage work maintaining the highest degree of confidentiality. Work with a great deal of independent discretion in decision making and execution of responsibilities.
- Maintain related Employee paperwork, legal documentation and employee complaints and resolution.
1. A Baccalaureate Degree in Management, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology or related field, with emphasis on personnel administration, employee and management relations or related discipline from an accredited college or university; and,
2. Three years experience in personnel management, employee relations, management or public administration, with at least one year of progressively responsible experience in personnel management, employee relations programs, administration and benefits in a large public or private organization; and,
3. Comprehensive knowledge of theory and principles and their application to personnel administration in employee relations, including aspects of training, employee development, labor relations, knowledge of research design trends and developments in personnel, employee relations and general management fields; or,
4. A satisfactory equivalent of education, training and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply directly to the job via our careers website at: careers.nychhc.org (job # 49414)
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes health benefits, retirement and pension plans, paid time off, professional development, and an employee perks program.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Recruiting: 3 years (Required)
Work Location: One location