About NY Renews
NY Renews is a coalition of nearly 300 environmental, justice, faith, labor, and community groups, and the force behind the nation’s most progressive climate law – the NYS Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. Now, we’re focused on two projects: implementing the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act in line with our vision of full decarbonization of the economy and climate justice; and advancing additional policies for climate justice in New York State. For more information, visit www.nyrenews.org.
After four years of organizing and advocacy by the NY Renews coalition, New York State passed the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, the nation’s most aggressive climate change policy. It is critical that this law is fully implemented in line with the vision of the NY Renews coalition, which includes a significant focus on climate justice.
About the Policy Coordinate Role
We are seeking a dedicated, conscientious, and passionate individual to fill the role of Policy Coordinator to help the coalition influence the implementation of New York’s new climate law, and support the broader coalition policy work including passage of legislation.
The Policy Coordinator coordinates the policy committee, and the coalition’s activities related to legislative development, regulatory process, and research. They work with coalition members to manage the Policy Committee (including weekly calls, working groups, and ad hoc meetings) primarily focused on the coalition’s priorities in three areas:
- Coordinating members of the coalition and our allies are engaging in a coordinated and strategic manner around the implementation of the sweeping Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act.
- Engaging members of the coalition and ensuring that they have a route through the policy committee to provide input on the legislative development of the Climate and Community Investment Act (CCIA), any future legislative demands by the coalition, and/or other policy priorities.
- The Policy Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the appropriate coalition members are engaging strategically to provide capacity and guidance where there are policy analysis or regulatory process matters that need input relevant to our Federal advocacy and legislative work.
- Identifying strategic points of intervention for the coalition to mobilize its grassroots membership around policy issues and moments.
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualities:
- Experience with advocacy campaign organizing, or in legislative, budget, and administrative advocacy
- Experience organizing with a legislative, labor, issue, electoral, or other social justice campaign
- Ability to develop and maintain genuine working relationships of trust and solidarity with a wide variety of partners from diverse backgrounds
- Exceptional ability to juggle multiple, simultaneous projects with cross-cutting stakeholders and deadlines, without sacrificing attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively, including in moments of urgency
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion
- A strong racial justice lens and experience working with communities of color
- Commitment to social, economic, racial, and climate justice
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience working with coalitions
- A background in the climate justice movement
- Experience working in policy research or legal analysis
- Experience interfacing with government agencies and/or elected officials
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, Slack, and GSuite
- Ability to analyze, understand, and “de-wonkify” legislative, administrative, and policy language for a broad audience; ability to produce compelling written materials for professional, legislative, and lay audiences
NYC or Albany preferred, but open to remote for the right candidate; must be located within New York State
Salary and Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 based on experience. This is an exempt salaried position.
- NY Renews provides employees with 100% health and dental insurance and provides 80% of costs for family coverage, along with a generous paid time off and holiday package.
The Policy Coordinator works under the supervision of the Coalition Coordinator, with the oversight of the staff supervisor and the Management Committee
To apply for this position, please Submit your application and resume through this form
NY Renews is committed to equity, inclusion and justice. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the values we fight for in the world. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ candidates and others with lived experience of climate injustice are especially encouraged to apply.
Details at a Glance
Full Time Schedule
December 10, 2021
November 16, 2021
USD $55,000 – USD $65,000
The salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 based on experience. This is an exempt salaried position.
NY Renews provides employees with 100% health and dental insurance and provides 80% of costs for family coverage, along with a generous paid time off and holiday package.
Work must be performed in or near New York, NY
New York, NY, USA