Our Game Plan
The New York Islanders Hockey Club is one of the most iconic franchises in professional sports with a deeply passionate and loyal fanbase. We’ve won four consecutive Stanley Cups in the early 1980s and are well on our way to add to that legacy. The next few years will be action-packed as we complete our world-class, state-of-the-art arena, reposition our brand in the Long Island and Metro New York markets, and prepare to reclaim the Stanley Cup.
We are hiring an Intern, Community Relations & Fan Development. If you are passionate about building your career in the sports & entertainment industry, then we want to get to know you.
How to Make the Team
The Community Relations/Fan Development Internship is a fan facing position. Our Interns work events where they come face to face with fans and future fans of the organization. For this reason, we are looking to bring on candidates with exceptional communication skills, strong work ethics and positive demeanors. This role will focus on fan growth within our market through grassroot programs, introducing the game of hockey to local youth via land variations of the game, fundraising for the organizations non-profit arm and assisting the Community Relations team with day-to-day tasks that help to foster relationships between the Organization and the community. The position requires schedule flexibility as working schedules are built around an events calendar and home game schedule throughout the season and offseason.
Show Us You Can
- Assist in setup, execution and breakdown of Islanders events that take place off-site in the community or onsite at Islanders owned and operated facilities. Inclusive of Islanders Community Events Tour, Islanders @School Program, Islanders Street Hockey Program, Islanders Home Games, and additional fan forward facing events.
- Be Responsible for operational needs and activation of the Islanders Community Events Tour. Inclusive of prepping of team vehicles for upcoming events, set up of interactive games at events, handout of promotional items.
- Responsible for fan engagement, data collection and proper storage of data following each event
- Assist with planning and solicitation of donations for Islanders premiere fundraising events inclusive of the Islanders Golf Outing benefitting the Islanders Children’s Foundation
- Be available to assist the Community Relations Department at Islanders home games throughout the course of the season building awareness of community related programs and taking an active role in game night fundraising including the 50/50 raffle and various game night fundraising initiatives.
- Take an active role in growing the game by helping with various street hockey and floorball related programs. Candidates will be onsite to help host and facilitate documentation of programs.
- Help with day to day clerical tasks such as sorting mail, data entry, donation fulfillment and organization of department storage areas.
What Skills You’ll Use
- Flexibility: Switch gears on a moment’s notice and adapt to shifting priorities
- Motivation: Leverage your personal skills to drive results and influence success
- Autonomy: Manage your time, work independently, and prioritize tasks
- Collaboration: Liaise with cross-functional internal teams and establish positive relationships
- Accountability: Take ownership of your work
- Conflict Resolution: Show off your problem solving and decision-making skills
- Highly organized with excellent interpersonal skills
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Proficient in PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- Strong collaboration and time management skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast past environment
Where You’ll Go
This internship is based on events and event locations. Throughout the course of your internship, you can expect to work at the following locations:
- Office Home Bases: Northwell Health Ice Center, East Meadow and Islanders Executive Offices, Floral Park
- Arena Home Base: 20-21 Season: Nassau Live Center, Uniondale; 21-22 Season: UBS Arena, Elmont
- Attending home games and other team events (events can fall on evenings, weekends, and/or holidays)
- Various community locations that line up with the department’s events calendar
What’s in it for You
- Gaining experience in Community Relations, Fan Development, Non-Profit & Event Operations for an iconic NHL® franchise
- Ability to network through various community programs and events
The Fine Print
The New York Islanders are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.