This position manages the grievance and disciplinary appeals that the various unions appeal to the Labor Relations Department when not satisfied with the action taken by a department. The position is responsible to promote consistency and protect the rights of the LIRR in the implementation of contractual provisions and related policies and in taking disciplinary action. Advises departments on contract administration/implementation and can overrule or modify departmental labor relations actions.
This position represents LIRR at disciplinary and contract interpretation arbitrations and has the authority to settle cases and resolve other disputes to protect the interests of the LIRR.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Manage grievance and disciplinary cases appealed by the various unions to the Labor Relations Department when a union is not in agreement with the decision made at the departmental level. Represent the Carrier during on property appeal hearings with the various union leaders. Research and prepare appeal denial letter within time limits. Calculate the cosUliability of potentially payable claims. Negotiate stipulations of settlement where appropriate. Can uphold, overturn or modify decisions made by Department Heads/designees related to such appeals. Settle cases where appropriate. Represent the Carrier at contract interpretation and disciplinary arbitrations. Prepare persuasive and well supported briefs/submissions for arbitration. Present Carrier’s position through oral argument in arbitration hearings.
- Manage and provide direction to departmental managers in handling contract interpretation, employee complaints, dispute resolution, implementing new initiatives within contractual restraints and related to contracting-out issues.
- Advise and counsel VP- Labor Relations and two (2) Directors-Labor Relations on current labor relations issues. Provide consultation and expert advice to management or other groups on handling labor relations issues. Represent the VP- Labor Relations and two (2) Directors – Labor Relations at various meetings as needed. Provide instruction at training classes as necessary.
- Plan and participate in collective bargaining sessions. Prepare local written agreements with and communications to the various Labor Organizations. Administer certain contractual provisions such as the technology stipend and the Appendix C attrition/displacement allowance.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
-Represent the Vice President -Labor Relations in various Carrier forums such as interdepartmental meetings with the operating departments, the Law Department, Human Resources, Medical, and Safety. Perform other assignments as requested by senior management.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial & Labor Relations or a related field. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval. Demonstrated recent, progressive experience (approximately 7 to 10 years) in Labor Relations is required. A Master’s Degree in Labor Relations or a Juris Doctor may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
- Ability to successfully manage and coordinate diverse issues simultaneously.
- Must possess experience in collective bargaining administration and dispute resolution.
- Must possess experience in representing management/union at contract interpretation or disciplinary grievance hearings.
- Must possess strong mediation and negotiation skills.
- Must possess solid judgment skills and be a self-starter, and able to handle conflict.
- Must possess superior analytic ability as well as oral and written communication skills
- Experience as a departmental Trial Officer is a plus
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the ‘APPLY NOW’ button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://www.mymta.info/ , sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to My Job Search and then Careers.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.