For over 150 years, MetLife has helped generations of customers around the world protect their property, finances, family, and future. But for us, it’s never been enough just to sell somebody an insurance policy. We have always looked for ways to help people live better, healthier lives. Our purpose, always with you, building a more confident future, guides our actions as a company and our interactions with of our stakeholders.
Today, as people’s needs are changing faster than ever, we are committed to transforming our business to meet those needs. Doing that requires a special culture; for us that means a strong emphasis on collaboration and experimentation and a focus on empowering our teams at every level of the organization. Turning that commitment into a compelling narrative – and effecting telling that story to multiple stakeholders – is the responsibility of the Communications team.
The U.S. Business Communications team is part of Global Communications in the company’s Corporate Affairs function and manages internal and external communications for the U.S Business. Our role is to show how we bring our purpose to life in the U.S,. Business through storytelling that reveals who we are, what we do and the impact we have in the world. Our end goal is ensuring our stakeholders see MetLife as the company with whom to place their trust today and long into the future. This is a high-energy, dynamic team that values colleagues that can anticipate needs, think quickly and support one another in a collegial atmosphere.
As the Communications Consultant with a focus on media relations and external communications, you will be in the center of the action, working on both B2B and B2C programs that touch all parts of our business. Using a robust mix of traditional and new channels, you will work with the team to develop, plan and execute high-impact communication activities that reach key stakeholders across the country.
Your ability to closely coordinate with colleagues across the line of business will enable you to craft holistic and actionable messages that engender loyalty and action among our stakeholders. Your sense for a news story – and how to create one – will generate a steady drumbeat of news coverage.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for storytelling, expertise in crafting messages that drive action and engagement, and an ability to interpret what he/she hears from leaders to develop, manage, and execute communication strategies that are fresh, interactive and engaging.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the media across B2B and B2C channels.
- Provide day-to-day external communications support for MetLife’s business including new product launches, thought leadership studies and new innovations.
- Develop communications materials including press releases, pitch letters, key messages, briefing books, FAQ, key messages, by-line articles and other collateral
- Collaborate effectively with marketing and other stakeholders to build integrated programs that serve the customers and showcase MetLife.
- Establish strong relationships with stakeholders throughout the company and represent communications on cross-functional projects and leadership teams
- Socialize communications program ideas among influencers and stakeholders and secure buy-in and budgets for activations
- Partner with internal colleagues and external agencies to determine success metrics, measure and evaluate programs and recommend adjustments based on the data.
- Five or more years of experience in communications and public relations
- Experience working with business-to-business and business-to-consumer companies
- Experienced in traditional media, social media and new media channels with demonstrated results in using them internally and externally to engage stakeholders
- A combination of agency and corporate experience is preferred but not required
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, public relations, journalism, or related field
- Recognized as a team player who willingly shares knowledge and information with others
- Exercises sound judgment as a communications professional
- Produces high-quality work at a professional level
- High proficiency in written and verbal communication
- High energy and strong work ethic, with multi-tasking abilities
Location: NYC preferred, however open to other locations.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.