At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We are in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we are designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs.
Mercer Health and Benefits is seeking candidates for the following position supporting the San Francisco location.
Senior Health & Benefits Actuarial Analyst
What can you expect?
- As the Senior Health & Benefits Actuarial Analyst, you will be an integral member responsible for managing client projects that focus on employers’ health benefits strategies, including financial projections, carrier selection, plan design optimization, employee contribution setting, IBNP valuations, benchmarking, well-being initiatives and renewal negotiations
- This role will allow you to use your mathematical and communication expertise to create models and solve problems while learning new consulting skills
- You will be part of a company committed to enhancing the health, wealth, and careers of the clients we serve and their employees — and will work for a company equally invested in the development of our own people
- You can rest assured a high value is placed on diversity and we work to foster understanding, inclusion, and innovation in the workplace
- You will be doing impactful, challenging work, and can look forward to a career with many opportunities to learn, grow, and advance
What is in it for you?
At Mercer, we are as invested in creating brighter futures for our own people as we are for our clients. To help you reach your full potential, we offer a culture, benefits program and resources that support your wellbeing and career development as well as:
- A company with a strong brand and strong results to match and are committed to making a difference in the lives of people
- A culture of belonging, innovation, collaboration, internal mobility and extraordinary career opportunities through our four businesses: Marsh, Mercer, Guy Carpenter, and Oliver Wyman, each consistently ranked the industry leader in their fields
- Competitive pay, full benefits package – starting day one (medical, dental, vision, STD/LTD, life insurance, generous 401k match AND automatic contribution)
- Generous paid time off for vacation, sick, company holidays and time to give back to your community; flexible work culture
- Employee Resource Groups which provide access to leaders, relevant volunteer and mentoring opportunities, and interactions with counterparts in industry groups and client organizations
- Opportunities to participate in our mentor program and network with other colleagues in our Business Resource Groups (BRGs) – Mercer Cares (community involvement), PRIDE, Women@Mercer, Racial & Ethnic Diversity and Rising Professionals Network!
We will count on you to:
- Complete data entry and analysis – assist the consulting team in gathering, organizing, entering and analyzing data using Excel spreadsheets to be used for various client projects. This role also involves an increased focus on analysis of the results and managing portions of projects, including reviewing the work of lower-level analysts
- Gather benchmarking, utilization or rate data from the vendors via a Request for Proposal (RFP); interpret the meaning of the data and summarize the responses from the RFP in Excel or PowerPoint format for presentation to the client
- Cost projections and vendor renewal workups – gather data from the client and vendors to populate Excel spreadsheets used for developing cost projections and evaluation of vendor renewal workups; results are used as part of client renewal and budget meetings
- Tracking claims experience – gather data from client and vendors and check for reasonableness using independent judgment; analyze actual versus expected healthcare costs using an Excel template; results are typically sent to clients on a monthly or quarterly basis
What you need to have:
- BA/BS Degree – preferably in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance or Economics
- 1-3 years of health industry experience
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office Tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Must have passed at least 1 to 3 preliminary Society of Actuaries (SOA) exams
What makes you stand out:
- Ability to demonstrate project management and consulting skills
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of $17 billion. Through its market-leading businesses including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. For more information, visit https://www.me.mercer.com/. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.