Mercer Health & Benefits team is seeking actuarial candidates for the following position based in San Francisco:
Health & Benefits Actuarial Consultant
What can you expect?
- Allows you to use your mathematical and communication expertise to create models and solve problems while learning new consulting skills
- Challenges you to deliver impactful solutions for major organizations and touch the lives of all the individuals who work at them
- Provides you the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people in the industry
What is in it for you?
- Excellent growth, mobility and advancement opportunities
- Considerable opportunity to network with senior actuaries across the country
- Option to support intellectual capital or business development across the West market
- Support for progression towards actuarial designations including paid study time, reimbursement for materials/exam fees and bonus/salary increase with exam passes
- Opportunity to participate in various business resource groups like Rising Professional Network, Women at Mercer, PRIDE our LBGTQ+ group among others
- Structured new hire trainings available along with extensive at work individual one on one training
We will count on you to do:
- Develop underwriting and actuarial skills and work on health care plan design, cost factors, and the renewal process as well as industry products, services, and tools, including Mercer Health products, the vendor/insurance carrier market, and budget setting, rate setting, and evaluation
- Develop customized pricing and valuation models
- Price medical, prescription drug, dental and vision plan designs using proprietary Mercer tools
- Develop employee contribution strategies to meet employer cost objectives
- Analyze vendor renewals and plan experience and estimate future plan costs
- Consistently progress towards actuarial designation
What you need to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, math, statistics, economics, business finance, or other related field
- 3 to 5 + years experience working in an actuarial field
- ASA or FSA Preferred
- Strong analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative, and working knowledge of Microsoft Office—Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of data analysis, project management, and presentation design
- Ability to work in teams and be flexible to work under tight deadlines and changing client needs
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
What makes you a stand out?
- Having successfully passed 4-5 SOA exams (ASA/FSA preferred)
- Consulting experience preferred
- Excellent project management and multitasking skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of $17 billion. Through its market-leading businesses including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. For more information, visit https://www.mercer.com/. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Marsh McLennan and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.