The Director of Sustainability will be a key member of the MassMutual Global Sustainability Team, reporting to the global Head of Sustainability. This individual will be helping to set the company’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, roadmaps and goals, and leading the implementation, communications, and integration of sustainable practices across the company. The individual will collaborate heavily with senior leadership, as well as work with cross-functional teams globally.
The MassMutual Global Sustainability Team is responsibility for the development and deployment of MassMutual’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, roadmaps, goals, policies and initiatives that support the company’s business strategies, reflect our value and support the communities where we do business.
- Support the development and deployment of MassMutual’s ESG Strategy. Lead ESG initiatives globally including program governance, ESG disclosure strategy, data collection and processes, and KPI development. Work with business unit ESG leaders on implementation of key programs, as well as developing pathways to Net Zero operations by 2030 and Net Zero investment portfolio by 2050.
- Develop processes to monitor, track ongoing progress against the company’s ESG goals. Collaborate with key business functions globally to ensure operational ESG initiatives are executed in-line with the company’s goals.
- Partner with the business groups to identify opportunities for scaled impact, prioritize focus, and operationalize the solution that are most impactful to employees, customers, policyholders, communities, and our business.
- Lead a team of internal stakeholders and external consultants to develop and publish annual reports. Manage ESG disclosures, investor correspondence and other ESG related internal and external communication and inquires.
- Drive ongoing improvement in ESG rankings and ratings. Coordinate global efforts related to U.S. and international ESG legislation and regulations.
- Collaborating with internal stakeholder to develop and manage customer and investor ESG engagement programs.
- Support employee engagement efforts related to ESG with regular communication through the company’s intranet, town halls and educational sessions for employees. Create interactive engagement opportunities on ESG for employees.
- Engage with external stakeholder groups, representing MassMutual’ ESG program in public forums and industry events.
- 8+ years of work experience in related fields in a global organization.
- Broad knowledge of ESG in a business context including ESG reporting, climate change, Science Based Targets, carbon accounting, sustainable investing, and sustainable financing.
- Deep understanding of and substantial experience with major ESG reporting frameworks such as PRI, TCFD, SASB, GRI, and CDP, etc.
- Strong understanding of and experience with ESG assessments and ratings (MSCI, ISS, Sustainalytics), knowledge of ESG impact on credit ratings.
- Strategic thinker with advanced verbal/written communications and presentation skills, the ability to articulate and communicate complex investment and sustainability concepts into simple terms clearly and succinctly, as well as the ability to educate, persuade and inspire people into action.
- Exceptional project management and cross-functional leadership skills, process focused and keen ability to forester collaboration, influence and build trust in a highly matrixed organization.
- Be able to prioritize, multitask and deliver high-quality work in tight timeframes.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with senior executives and collaborate effectively with people across geographies, cultures, functions, and all levels of seniority.
- Self-starter with a track record of demonstrated ability and willingness to learn, motivation and dedication to excellence.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, comfort with ambiguity, good judgement and diplomacy.
- A consummate team player with impeccable ethics and integrity.
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Global Sustainability Team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, Veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
We’ve been around since 1851. During our history, we’ve helped millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection, and plan for the future.
Today, we continue to develop meaningful relationships with our customers by building their trust, being knowledge problem solvers and always prioritizing their needs. MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life.
MassMutual was recognized as an Ethisphere 2020 World’s Most Ethical Company, a Top Place to Work in 2020 according to The Boston Globe and named among America’s Best Employers for Diversity according to Forbes 2020.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.