Marsh is seeking candidates for a casualty actuary position in the Data Science team based in or reporting remotely to our New York headquarters office.
What can you expect?
As a member of the Data Science team within Marsh Advisory, you develop and maintain quantitative models and statistical analyses for property and casualty risk evaluation and mitigation. Marsh Advisory helps companies change their risk profiles so they can improve resiliency, reduce claims and minimize the total cost of risk. Businesses today regularly tackle multiple challenges, whether facing property, casualty, cyber, reputational or other risks, Marsh Advisory can help.
You will help improve and adapt existing essential models and processes to create innovative solutions and delivery to drive deep engagement with clients and colleagues while finding new insights in data and modeling.
You will contribute actuarial expertise as part of an interdisciplinary team including data scientists, computer scientists and the business (risk consultants, claims consultants, brokers) to develop and bring to market leading-edge techniques that blend actuarial approaches with predictive modeling, machine learning, artificial intelligence and natural language processing.
What’s in it for you:
- Opportunities to take risks, innovate and disrupt. Marsh is agile and resilient – our goal is to invest in you by training on soft and technical skills to prepare you for opportunities in different areas of our business.
- A company with an exceptional, global brand and proven results to match
- Culture of internal mobility, collaboration and valued partnerships
- Competitive pay and full benefits package starting day one – medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous 401k
- Employee Resource Groups which provide access to leaders, relevant volunteer and mentoring opportunities and interactions with diverse counterparts in industry groups and client organizations.
- Competitive pay (salary and performance based bonus potential), full benefits package – starting day one (medical, dental, vision, STI/LTI, life insurance, generous 401k match AND contribution.)
- Flexible work opportunities for work/life balance
- Generous Parental Leave and Tuition Reimbursement plan and participation in our Employee Stock Purchase Plan
We’ll count on you to:
- Assist in developing new, market-leading analytics-based tools to assess risk and in adapting existing models to new digital analytic tools and content delivery in an Agile environment.
- Learn and support the production and maintenance of existing reports, models and dashboards. Advise colleagues on data requirements. Troubleshoot issues and bugs. Collect and adapt internal and industry data. Interface with IT staff.
- Perform basic quantitative modeling and statistical analysis in order to assess risk and viability of risk mitigation solutions for internal and external clients.
- Demonstrate skill in statistical, actuarial, data science and research techniques, combined with a broader awareness of the business and ongoing research to function in a collaborative and consultancy role within the Data Science team and across the wider organization.
What you need to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Math, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Data Science or related field
- Actuarial experience in workers’ compensation and liability domains with a strong understanding of property and casualty actuarial techniques and their practical applications.
- Understanding of loss sensitive programs, excess liability, claim data, industry (NCCI, ISO) factors
- Statistical modeling knowledge, including familiarity with machine learning techniques
- Knowledge of modern programming languages such as Python, R, SAS, VBA or SQL
- Microsoft Office skills (particularly in Excel, including Visual Basic)
What makes you stand out:
- At least 5 actuarial exams passed and interest in pursuing designation from the Casualty Actuarial Society
- At least 3 years Actuarial work experience
- Superior detail orientation, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Marsh is the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser. With over 35,000 colleagues operating in more than 130 countries, Marsh serves commercial and individual clients with data driven risk solutions and advisory services. Marsh is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the leading global professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With annual revenue approaching US $17 billion and 76,000 colleagues worldwide, MMC helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses: Marsh, Guy Carpenter, Mercer, and Oliver Wyman. Follow Marsh on Twitter @MarshGlobal; LinkedIn; Facebook; and YouTube, or subscribe to BRINK.
Marsh McLennan and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.