Full Job Description
The Associate Vice President of Marketing serves as the university’s senior marketing leader, overseeing a multifaceted, interdisciplinary marketing organization that manages the university’s brand and produces regional, national, and international marketing campaigns and programs. The position is responsible for overseeing the planning, development, and execution of university, college, school, athletics, and individual unit marketing and promotions initiatives, generating revenue by achieving enrollment, fundraising, and auxiliary business objectives. This position directs the university’s marketing vision and strategy and oversees a complex organization of centralized and embedded and constituent-based professionals and managers. This position supervises various organizational units, including a centralized marketing department, creative services and production, the university’s social platforms, enrollment marketing, athletics marketing, brand partnerships, brand management, trademarks and licensing, promotions, and alternative revenue stream generation activities.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITITES:
- Define marketing strategies that direct, drive, and support the university’s marketing objectives. Develop and propagate a compelling, memorable, and impactful brand platform and supportive marketing strategies that position the university to accomplish its presidential and strategic goals.
- Build, develop, direct, and oversee marketing and brand management teams: set objectives, manage budgets, monitor performance, and assess outcomes. Lead a service-oriented team environment that fosters collaboration, transparency, teamwork, flexibility, and creativity. Coach team members to maximize creativity, productivity, and effectiveness.
- Review, edit, and approve the university’s most visible and strategic marketing plans, marketing content, and marketing assets (including print, digital, radio, television) and ensure a high-level of quality control, content appropriateness, tone, mission integration, brand platform alignment, and target objectives are considered, reflected, and achieved.
- Set and achieve strategic goals and key performance indicators for university and unit-specific visibility and revenue generation. Collaborate with the chief executives of the colleges, schools, enrollment, athletics, and alternative revenue units to measure performance, investment returns, and accomplishment of intended outcomes. Oversee all marketing activities across a matrix of complex priorities, schedules, deliverables, and outcomes.
- Negotiate, review, and recommend contracts with external partners. Lead the university’s business activities related to trademarks, licensing, enforcement, compliance, and promotions. Maximize revenue generation and visibility opportunities.
- Determine and deploy best-practice marketing policies, standards, and guidelines and collaborate with university departments to ensure integration, adherence, compliance, and advancement toward university strategic goals. Streamline marketing processes to realize cost savings and scales of economy.
- Review, synthesize, and share marketplace trends, data, and evidence-driven models to drive strategic decisions across the institution, including strategic planning, academic program development, philanthropic efforts, enrollment activities, and/or other institutional development efforts. Build consensus to position the university to maximize its strengths and address opportunities and weaknesses.
- Serve as the senior architect of the university’s brand by ensuring it is effective and able to accomplish its primary objectives of: elevating and solidifying LMU’s reputation; attracting and retaining best-fit students, faculty, and staff; increasing engagement among alumni, friends, and donors; supporting revenue generation streams; providing credibility for new offerings and programs; supporting fundraising activities; creating differentiation; shaping the university around its recognized strengths and forward-looking vision; improving institutional efficiency by supporting an internal culture of evidence-based planning and decision-making; and positioning the university optimally when confronted with economic downturns and/or public perception crises.
- Cultivate relationships with strategic advertising, promotions, and activation partners and firms and execute strategies that leverage influencer networks to create lead generation, target audience engagement, increase visibility, drive awareness and choice, and enhance clout. As a relationship connector, find, develop and maximize relationships that broaden LMU’s reach and impact.
- Lead the university’s social media platforms development, management and response efforts. Develop and execute campaigns that empower constituents to spread brand messages virally and increase the quality of fans, followers, champions, and ambassadors.
- Pioneer and implement measurable strategies that drive alternative revenue goals at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Loyola Marymount University Expectations
- Exhibit behavior that supports the mission, vision, and values of the university. Communicate and employ interpersonal actions that model high standards of professional, responsible, accountable and ethical conduct. Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service.
- The incumbent must have the ability to supervise creative, communications and technical personnel and manage complex projects with dependencies, deadlines, budgets and outside resources. The incumbent must possess the ability to implement marketing and communication principles and strategies in the execution of video projects. The incumbent must have the ability to initiate ideas, develop concepts and review the effectiveness of processes to ensure professional standards and high quality. The incumbent has the ability to assess the needs of internal clients and suggest appropriate measures to meet those needs. The incumbent is able to work effectively and independently with internal and external constituencies. The incumbent has the ability to operate in an environment in which skilled relationship management and consensus-building is required to deliver successful outcomes.
- Minimum of 10 years of related marketing and business development experience in positions of increasing responsibility in marketing and brand management, preferably within higher education.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a senior leadership role with a hands-on collaborative style with cross-disciplinary direct reports and/or teams.
- Evidence of creative and ambitious leadership style with a track record for leading both strategic and tactical marketing outcomes;
- Highly collaborative style with experience that demonstrates relationship-building, consensus-building, flexibility, and managing through influencing;
- Experience with building brand awareness and internal support required.
- Expert-level knowledge of marketing principles, brand development and management, strategic marketing campaigns, market research, revenue generation, target audience development, social media management, and team building.
- Advanced experience with traditional and digital marketing and communications functions, channels, and activities. Ability to interpret large amounts of data in a multi-tasked environment.
- Possesses exceptional verbal and written communications skills and compelling and impactful presentation abilities. Has the ability to motivate and inspire creative, communications, and marketing teams as well as colleagues, constituents, leaders, and governance boards.
- Experience brainstorming ideas and concepts for marketing campaigns and recommend solutions within the context of an institutional brand, communication, and marketing strategy.
- Demonstrated experience managing creative projects and executing across multiple communications and marketing channels and media;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and entrepreneurially; experience creating, developing and implementing new initiatives;
- Evidence of a leadership style that produces high quality deliverables with meticulous attention to detail. Must be metrics-driven and results-oriented manager with excellent analytical skills. Ability to provide quick turnaround and updates for multiple requests while maintaining high quality work.
- Must be able to perform successfully in a fast-paced, intellectually intense, and service-oriented environment. Significant experience leading successful outcomes and navigating political dynamics within a complex organization required. Willing and able to adjust to changing demands and shifting priorities.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends to support major project deadlines or initiatives.
- Demonstrated competency with common office productivity software suites (including Microsoft Office), and creative production software (including Adobe Creativity Suite), email marketing tools, social media management tools, web content management systems, quality assurance systems, ADA compliance systems, and analytics reporting software.
- Typically, a master’s degree, preferably with a specialization in marketing, advertising, journalism, and/or business management or related field. Incumbent is expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of best practices and industry trends.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
- To ensure the safety and well-being of our community, Loyola Marymount University requires that all students, faculty and staff are vaccinated or have been approved for a qualifying medical or religious exemption.
#HERC# / #HEJ#