The Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation (LADF), established in 1995 and significantly reimagined in 2012, is a leading model for philanthropy and community engagement. With the goal of reaching all of Los Angeles and to be a model for sports teams worldwide, LADF is bigger than baseball. Focusing on education, health care, homelessness, and youth development, LADF has ambitions to be the city’s premier charity. LADF has invested more than $35 million in programs and grants to nonprofits, and fundraising has increased by 1,000% since 2012. LADF was awarded ESPN’s Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year (2020), Beyond Sport’s Sport for Reduced Racial Inequalities Collective Impact Award (2020), and the Aspen Institute Project Play Champion (2020), and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Sports Award (2021).
LADF is in the midst of an exciting period of growth and seeks a Director of Development to manage all aspects of the Foundation’s fundraising. Working closely with the CEO, the Director of Development is responsible for driving the fundraising function of the foundation across grant-based giving, individual giving, in-stadium giving, and events.
Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- Working in collaboration with the CEO, set the annual development strategy for LADF, which includes determining how to divide and manage donor outreach and cultivation for high value donors, sponsors and partners in major gifts.
- In partnership with the CEO, COO and CPO, establish expectations and priorities for the Development function.
- Work cross-functionally with other leaders in the organization to understand how the Development function supports the mission of the foundation.
- Serve as the primary driver for foundation gifts to LADF, individual giving and grant-based fundraising efforts, including donor identification/research, cultivation, making asks, reporting, and stewardship.
- Manage all fundraising events (Blue Diamond Gala, LADF 5k/10k run, breakfasts/luncheons, fan-based events, campaigns, Dodger spouses’ events, etc.).
- Manage the Supervisor, Development to oversee in-stadium fundraising (50/50 raffle, ribbon boards, online auction, silent auction, sweepstakes, message boards, retail and customer service), plus Associates and/or Consultants assigned annually.
- Manage the Coordinator, Development, who provides administrative and logistical support for all aspects of the Development function, including data and event support.
- Ensure that accurate and timely data and records are maintained in Salesforce. Develop and maintain effective systems for the organization’s management of Development activities.
- Provide regular reporting on the Development function’s activities.
- Serve on the Functional Leadership Team, which includes the CEO, COO, CPO and other Director-level team members across the organization.
Qualifications and Experience Needed
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Demonstrated experience directly raising significant funds in a nonprofit and/or foundation setting.
- Demonstrated experience managing a multi-pronged development operation, including large-scale fundraising events, major gifts, sponsorships and foundation giving.
- Experience navigating the Los Angeles philanthropic community, including relationships with donor, partners or sponsors.
- Ability to work in partnership with a CEO to manage donor relationships collaboratively.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience using data to drive development efforts and using systems to ensure effective communication and accessibility to the cross-functional team that contributes to the development effort.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Strong passion for and commitment to LADF’s mission, programs and values.
- Occasional evenings and weekends will be necessary to perform the role.
It is LADF’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Our core values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our foundation and its people operate.
We look for hardworking team members who share our passion.
- Opportunity – We know that talent is evenly distributed, but opportunity is not.
- Access – No recreational, education or health resource should be out of reach for any child.
- Equity – We aim to level the playing field and make sure that every kid has a fair shot.
- Collaboration – We believe that working well with others is the secret sauce to success.
- Impact – The work we do must create meaningful progress that is measurable. We want to support proven programs.
- Excellence – We hold ourselves to the highest standards across all of our work, striving for quality and credibility.
*A cover letter AND resume must be submitted in order to be considered for this role.