The Analyst, Research & Development will support the Baseball Operations R&D group’s efforts to analyze and provide data, statistics and other baseball-related information. The ideal candidate combines a strong background of technical skills with an understanding of baseball research concepts and modern gameplay strategies.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large datasets in order to assist in the decision-making of the Baseball Operations department.
- Develop software, databases, models, applications, reports, and other information systems to increase efficiency of the Baseball Operations department.
- Perform ad-hoc research projects as requested and present results in a concise manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or a related field of study preferred.
- Advanced foundation in the application of statistical concepts to baseball data and the translation of data into actionable baseball recommendations.
- Ability to communicate concepts to individuals with diverse baseball backgrounds, including coaches, scouts and executives.
- Advanced level capabilities in R or Python.
- Proficiency in or clear ability to learn SQL.
- Preferred: Some web development experience.
- Preferred: Demonstrable independent baseball research.
- Preferred: Experience deploying machine learning models at scale efficiently.
- Ability to relocate to Anaheim, CA strongly preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to frequently sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to occasionally work in inclement weather (when in stadium)
- Ability to traverse from office to stadium frequently
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please note that any job offer is contingent upon your providing verification that you have been fully vaccinated (at least 14 days have passed since receiving final dose of vaccine) against COVID-19. Job offers will be withdrawn (regardless of whether you have already signed) if this condition is not satisfied. Unless and until this step has been completed, you should not resign your current employment, otherwise alter your employment status, or alter any personal circumstances in reliance on a conditional offer. Angels Baseball is committed to providing equal opportunity, and does not discriminate on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. If there is a medical or religious reason you believe you cannot comply with this requirement, please discuss with Human Resources during your interview process.
The Angels believe that diversity contributes to a more enriched collective perspective and a better decision-making process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.