$55,000 – $60,000 a year
Full Job Description
Just-A-Start is a community development corporation dedicated to promoting equity by creating access to stable housing and building pathways to economic opportunity. We build and preserve affordable housing, offer education and workforce training, and provide housing resources and services to low-to moderate-income people in Cambridge and nearby communities.
The Mediator & Housing Specialist will provide conflict resolution and rental assistance services to clients with a focus on landlord/tenant relationships. This role will mediate civil and summary process matters in district courts in greater Boston and help implement housing stabilization efforts including homelessness prevention case management and provide access to financial assistance as part of the Housing Resources Team.
JAS’s approach to housing stabilization is unique and focuses on combining conflict resolution, coaching, legal education, and, where possible, rental assistance. We are seeking a person to join our team who is passionate about the needs of tenants and housing providers and sees this larger mission even when resolving everyday disputes and paying attention to details in documenting rental assistance needs. JAS is moving from mainly remote work to a more permanent hybrid model and expects full-time employees to spend 3 days/week in the office by Labor Day.
- Dispute resolution training and minimum 1-2 years’ experience required; ability to work in a single mediator model
- Certificate in Basic Mediation Training
- Excellent problem solving and people skills
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with case management and reporting requirements preferred
- Ability to think creatively and flexibly, in a non-traditional model, to resolve the fundamental issues that can impact housing stability
- Cultural competency and ability to establish effective professional relationships with diverse group of participants.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, intermediate Excel/Word
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Bengali, Amharic, Portuguese, or Chinese, preferred
- Valid driver’s license.
- BS/BA required
Starting salary $55,000 to 60,000. In addition to a competitive salary, JAS offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, VTO, 13 paid holidays and 401k with 3% employer contribution
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. We value diversity and work together to create an inclusive culture where people from all backgrounds can thrive and belong. Applications from women and people of color are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics or any other characteristic protected by law.