Full Job Description
The Associate – Credit Risk position is within MMBSI’s Minnesota expansion region which covers a wide variety of industries. As a Associate – Credit Risk in Middle Market, your primary role is to take ownership of your portfolio and to utilize excellent credit skills to work independently on the portfolio of relationships assigned to you. You will appropriately assess the risk in your portfolio, diligently managing the portfolio (i.e. renewals, modifications, managing the credit metrics), and meeting customer deadlines. You will be a partner to the Bankers in the Market, striving to balance sales and credit quality goals. You will also assist other more experienced underwriters in a second chair capacity.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Taking ownership of your portfolio, acting with a sense of urgency, doing whatever it takes to effectively get the job done.
- Structuring transactions by being open minded and creative and thinking from the standpoint of “how can we do this deal” while balancing the risk/reward rather than concluding immediately that the deal cannot be done. Additionally, you will provide ideas/suggestions on how to market our structure to the customer.
- Utilizing excellent credit skills to author well thought out and concise analysis of Middle Market relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
Work in partnership with the Bankers to develop fulsome Client relationships including being looked to as the go to person when the banker is out.
- Working proactively, in a constructive, diplomatic manner, with both internal and external contacts to keep transactions moving.
- Having the ability to quickly and accurately evaluate smaller relationships to determine if the risk profile is acceptable and recommend simple structures that adequately protect the bank while not over engineering the transaction.
- Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
- The ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner and to defend that position with Management.
- BA/BBA/MBA and completion of a major corporate or commercial bank credit training program (or the equivalent corporate banking/corporate finance experience)
- Minimum of two years’ experience in commercial banking/lending which might include credit, structuring and marketing experience
- Significant accounting and finance knowledge and commercial banking experience
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans