As a Strategy Consultant at IBM, you will help reinvent businesses and industries by developing and utilizing specialized knowledge of industry-specific and cross-industry competitive strategies. You’ll manage complex components of an engagement, working closely with clients and their customers to understand their pain points. Your strategic recommendations will drive change in a digitally-enabled era and give you the opportunity to collaborate with highly talented IBMers. Are you ready?
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Business Development & Strategy MBA intern will participate in a 12-13 week summer internship program that provides the opportunity to work on strategic projects in teams of 2-4 interns that address real business challenges facing IBM’s decision makers. Throughout the summer, interns can participate in educational sessions to develop skills, join in on networking opportunities to connect with other members of IBM Software and across IBM, and gain exposure to many different parts of IBM’s business. Projects will be strategic, cross-functional initiatives, such as developing an ecosystem strategy by identifying vertical and horizontal participants and developing a targeting strategy.
- Identify go to market gaps and potential partners for a specific industry or technology
- Create the justification (i.e. business case) for identified gaps and partners
- Shape IBM C-Suite decisions with small-team project engagements to architect company-wide strategic direction
- Engage with Business Unit leaders to determine root causes to be evaluated, hypotheses to be tested, and business outcomes to be achieved
- Establish trusted relationships with internal client teams and interface with stakeholders across Business Units to gather information, gain diverse perspectives, and deepen subject matter expertise
- Research, analyze and synthesize key questions in tandem with data identification to shepherd problem-solving efforts employing targeted industry research
- Develop fact-based client, market, and competitor insights based on research conducted across a variety of sources, e.g. primary interviews, analyst reports, and internal databases
- Leverage first- and second-order insights as well as apply technical and operational expertise to identify issues, challenge the status quo, and develop creative recommendations
- Synthesize insights and recommendations into client presentations to clearly communicate findings to Business Unit leaders
What We Look For:
- Strong problem-solving capabilities, including the capability to take ambiguous complexities and deliver creative and well-structured solutions
- Intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness ready to question existing systems, business models, and processes and devise innovative solutions
- Diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives eager to cultivate positive working relationships within a tight-knit team and build trusted relationships across all levels of IBM
- Passion to understand how emerging technologies can be adopted and applied to solve business and societal challenges
- Powerful communication and storytelling skills, successfully utilizing verbal and written communications to expose and defend points of view to business leaders and team members
- Self-starters with the ability to tackle high impact strategic projects across IBM software
This will be an on-site position located in IBM’s Raleigh / Durham, NC or Austin, TX office locations
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Completed first year of Master’s Degree program with 3+ years of work experience, preferably in consulting, product management or business development function at an established technology company or a tech start-up
- Solid understanding for technology fundamentals
- Fluent in the English language
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Being part of an Extreme Blue (EB) team is like being in a business/task force that must create a solution for their client. EB’ers are entrusted to work in small, autonomous project teams of business and technical students, alongside the guidance of IBM project mentors and the support of a dedicated senior staff. This combination creates a team dynamic that fosters collaboration, risk-taking, and leadership. We push EB’ers to build a business and technical case for their project, while setting goals to ensure the end deliverable is “Extreme” enough to survive a competitive marketplace.
Extreme Blue’ers work on leading cutting edge technology, utilize Enterprise Design Thinking and Agile principles, and present to high-level executives; all to help grow your skills and make you a more attractive candidate in the field of technology., EB’ers in this high-performance environment get to roll up their sleeves and work with hot technologies like Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Cloud and more.
This job requires you to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated prior to your start date, where legally permissible. Proof of vaccination status will be required. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to medical, pregnancy or religious reasons, we offer accommodations in accordance with applicable law.
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Supplemental 1 employees may be eligible for paid holidays, paid sick time and Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.