The Executive Director of the Honor Emergency Fund of the Fire Department of the City of New York manages and oversees the ongoing work of the Fund and works with the Fund’s Program Assistant, accountants, advisors, and board members to achieve the mission and goals of the Fund.
Reports to: Chairperson, Vice-Chairpersons of the Honor Emergency Fund
Basis: Full-time, permanent position
Starting Salary: $90,000.00
Benefits Include: Fully Paid Medical and Dental Insurance; Life Insurance; Paid Vacation, Personal, and Sick Days; Funding of an IRA after twenty-four months of full-time satisfactory employment
- Oversee and assist with client intake, information, and referral.
- Meet with applicants to gather information, perform pertinent research, and/or outreach to involved professionals, significant others, or other organizations.
- Make home and/or field visits to applicants as necessary.
- Write case studies of all applicants to the Fund, which includes pertinent background, personal, medical, family, and financial information.
- Disseminate information and referrals to other sources of assistance as needed.
- Present the completed case studies to the Board of Trustees at either the regularly scheduled quarterly meetings, or to select board members for consideration/decision on an emergency basis.
- Manage and review the work of the Fund’s Program Assistant and accountant, including accurate payment of approved grants balance/spreadsheets, annual budget, record-keeping, money transfers, and related activities.
- Work closely with the FDNY Counseling Service Unit regarding Fund remittances to in-patient and out-patient facilities and therapists, staff training and education, and petty cash disbursement.
- Work closely with the Fund’s medical director, EMS advisor, and legal counsel as needed.
- Interact with staff, officers, and volunteers of the unions and other funds representing FDNY employees including firefighters, fire officers, EMTs, Paramedics, Inspectors, and civilian employees.
- Detail the mission of the Honor Emergency Fund at training classes for probationary firefighters, EMTs, and Paramedics, and at officer training sessions.
- Promote the Honor Emergency Fund utilizing various forums, video, written material, and other communication efforts to strengthen its profile and increase its visibility.
- Regularly enter data concerning applicant’s informational records, files, and notes.
- Maintain list of donors and relevant correspondence.
- Manage or coordinate projects or other activities as directed by members of the Board of Trustees. Consult with Board members and Fund attorney regarding policy decisions, the maintenance of standards, and the ongoing work of the Fund.
- Work with the Fund accountant and Program Assistant to provide required records, data, spreadsheets, vouchers, invoices, and other information for the yearly audit of the Honor Emergency Fund.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with other funds and organizations that support the employees of the New York City Fire Department.