Job Title: Senior Manager, Publicity
Location: New York City
Excel Sports Management is a full-service management and marketing agency that represents iconic athletes, talent, brands and properties.
Excel Sports Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Excel Sports Management is looking for an experienced publicist to manage proactive and reactive media relations for Excel’s talent roster including NBA, MLB, NFL and PGA clients. Responsibilities include heavy pitching, contributing to brand-building PR campaigns, relationship building and securing locala, regional and national media opportunities for clients. The role will report to the Vice President, Communications.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Execute and maintain PR programs to build clients’ profiles within their respective sports and beyond
- Secure high-profile opportunities within lifestyle and consumer outlets to showcase off-field/court interests of clients;
- Build and maintain successful relationships with journalists, reporters and influencers;
- Support clients’ charitable endeavors through placements within local and national media outlets;
- Drive publicity efforts around premier sporting events such as All-Star games, preseasons, season, and drafts;
- Generate creative ideas that would result in earned coverage;
- Coordinate interviews and schedules for talent across the Excel roster;
- Work with internal marketing managers, agents and clients to provide strategic counsel and develop solutions;
- All other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- 5-6 years of experience in Public Relations, preferably in the sports industry;
- Ability to showcase a wide range of stories that have been placed;
- Strong book of contacts across sports, lifestyle, and news media;
- Previous experience in sports and/or working with talent is preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field is helpful (PR, Communications, Journalism, Advertising);
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have a passion for developing relationships, both internally and externally;
- Good publicity skills with a strong understanding of the media landscape (traditional and digital);
- Must have strong storytelling, editorial and writing skills;
- and self-starter;
- Must have strong organizational skills and be able to multi-task and work in high-pace, dynamic environment;
- Must exude emotional intelligence along with the ability to communicate and connect effectively and personably, recognizing the need to adjust communication styles based on the audience and situation;
- Uncompromised ethics, integrity and morally sound, always focused on doing what is right.
This position is not eligible for sponsorship.
Excel Sports Management provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, leaves of absence, compensation and training