Reporting To: Strategic Communication Team Lead
Position Classification: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Annual Compensation: $60,000 to $70,000 dependent on experience and skill set
Other: San Francisco Bay Area; hybrid office-remote work environment
Instagram and Twitter: @EqualRightsAdv
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is seeking a creative and nimble Senior Policy Communications Coordinator to execute our values-based and people-first content strategy for our policy and advocacy programs. The goal is to widen ERA’s advocacy reach and strengthen our ability to win major systemic changes to advance racial, economic, and gender justice policies that benefit working women and their families, particularly Black, Latinx, AAPI communities. This role will work closely with our policy and advocacy leads with a focus on Stronger California, Equal Pay Today, the Women’s Economic Agenda projects, and our external coalition partners. Check out our website for more info on these amazing programs!
The ERA work environment is entrepreneurial, fast-paced and constantly changing, with quick turnarounds and pivots in response to people and events that need our engagement. We leverage technology and systems to operate in the cloud and paperless – we can work and connect from anywhere, anytime. We roll-up our sleeves and dive right in where we are needed and make a difference. If this seems exciting and interesting, join our passionate and vibrant team of gender justice champions as we work to transform our communities into places where all of us can lead!
ERA is a national civil rights organization founded in 1974 to expand economic and educational access and opportunities for women and girls. ERA embraces an inclusive and intersectional view of gender justice, inclusive of non-binary and gender non-conforming people. As we combat the patriarchy, we also challenge racist power structures and inequities compounded by ethnicity, class, sexual orientation, age, and other identities. Since its inception, ERA has been on the front-lines of advancing gender justice through a combination of impact litigation, policy advocacy, public education, and direct legal services, bringing visibility to the experiences and voices of the people we represent.
Our talented and fierce team includes litigators, policy reformers, and movement builders working at the state, multi-state and national level promoting gender equity and racial justice, expanding economic security, and growing community power. ERA’s legal initiatives include the Initiative to End Sexual Violence in Education (including a pro bono network of volunteer attorneys), and several campaigns chaired by ERA and led in partnership with 70+ partner organizations across the country driving gender justice reform and enforcement. These include the Equal Pay Today campaign, the Women’s Agenda Initiative, the Network of States to Stop Harassment, and the Stronger California Women’s Economic Security Campaign.
ERA home base is in San Francisco, California, with team members also located in Washington D.C. and other locations. Our annual operating budget is $3.7 million, and we have prioritized significant growth in the near future.
- In collaboration with ERA policy leads and the Communications Manager, develop, organize, and execute social media campaigns for ERA’s policy and legislative efforts, and participate in external social media campaigns alongside organizational partners
- Draft and design online & print content to support policy campaigns, days of action, partner actions, and legislative advocacy
- Coordinate policy initiative network activities such as weekly calls, informational materials, and promoting calls-to-action from network members
- Attend and report on coalition meetings, calls, and activities
- In collaboration with the Communications Manager and Digital Marketing Manager, draft social media content and other content/materials to support national days of action, partner actions, and legislative advocacy (especially for Stronger California and Equal Pay Today campaigns)
- Assist with ERA website content maintenance and updates in collaboration with the Communications and Digital Marketing Managers
- Design and create online graphics
- Assist Strategic Communications team in drafting mass emails to supporters, including action alerts
Marketing & Outreach
- Monitoring internal and external brand compliance
- Update marketing and outreach materials, including tracking in-house inventory, printed materials, as well as other marketing pieces related to policy initiatives
- Monitor organizational email accounts (such as firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Maintain and update supporter email lists in collaboration with the Development Team
- Provide some light administrative support to the Strategic Communications Team
- Collaborate in the planning and execution of other ERA events (such as our Annual Gala)
- 4-6 years of work experience in marketing or communications
- Degree, certification or the equivalent in a related area is a high+
- Demonstrably excellent writing, editing, and communication skills for content production
- Experience with producing social media content
- Strong interest in graphic design, social media, and using video for audience engagement is a high+
- Experience with basic graphic design tools/apps, such as Canva & In Design is a high+
- Experience rolling out policy, legislative, or advocacy campaigns is a high+
- Experience communicating wonky advocacy issues to a wide variety of audiences is a high+
- Able to deliver results, multitask and prioritize in fast-paced, quick turnaround environment; can work independently well even when in a hybrid remote work setting
- Comfortable in a techy, paper-less environment and adeptness at navigating systems and apps: Microsoft 365 product suite, internal messaging (i.e. Slack), productivity and project management (i.e. BlackBaud, Salesforce, Adobe Pro DC, e-sign, Basecamp), expenses (i.e. Concur), time tracking (i.e. Hour Timesheets), virtual telecom and video meetings (i.e. RingCentral, Zoom), and cloud-based everything, etc.
- Great administrative and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and curious; always wanting to grow and learn more
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, and influencing skills; inspires and motivates
- High level of intuitive and critical analysis skills; “connects the dots”
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including with external parties such as funders, partners, and vendors
- Exceptional work-ethic and sense of responsibility; detail-oriented, with focus quality and accuracy; resourceful at getting to the root of problems and finding solutions
- Flexible and able to pivot as circumstances require; embraces change
- Committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism
- Multi-language and multi-cultural capabilities are always a plus
- 13 paid annual holidays
- Up to 20 days of paid vacation/personal time earned in 1st year – up to 25 days annually post 1 year
- Up to 15 days of paid sick time earned annually
- Employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees and child dependents, with option to add spouse at own cost
- Employer-paid chiropractic/acupuncture benefit, long-term disability insurance, and $50K life/AD&D for employees
- Optional vision insurance at own cost for self and dependents
- Optional health and dependent care FSAs, plus pre-tax commuter employee accounts
- Optional 403(b) qualified retirement plan – employer-matched up to 4% of compensation
- Flexible, hybrid, life-balancing and friendly work-environment
- Availability of maternity, parental bonding, family, and disability leave
- Years of Service Awards: minimum 2 weeks additional paid vacation every 5-year incremental anniversary
- Work is desk-based, typically performed during regular local Monday thru Friday business hours, with occasional, infrequent travel.
- Laptop and required adapters and peripherals provided
- This position is not subject to strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
- Team members with differing abilities are provided reasonable work accommodations
- ERA has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy and adheres to the related regulatory requirements
How to Apply
Are you ready to join the ERA team?
1) Submit your résumé and a cover letter combined in the same document attachment to email@example.com with the title of the position sought in the email subject line.
2) Tell us about:
- Your interest in this particular position, and
- Your interest in ERA work
3) Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
4) Applications will be accepted and reviewed by the ERA Search Team up to the application deadline of end-of-day Friday, November 5.
5) Applicants will be provided a status update by Monday, November 15.
6) Please note that final round candidates will be asked to provide professional references.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Equity, Inclusion, Diversity, and Anti-Racism
ERA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that will consider all applications equally without regard to sex, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, medical condition, religion, sexual orientation, differing ability, veteran status, marital status, arrest or conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by law. Applicants with differing abilities will be reasonably accommodated during the search process.
ERA’s Equal Opportunity Employer Policy applies to all aspects and phases of employment. Through this commitment, ERA strives daily to maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive to all and free from discrimination.