Organization: EDF Innovation Lab
Location: 4300 El Camino Real, Los Altos or Remote
Application Closing: ASAP, Fall 2021
Duration: October 2021- March 2022, Full-time/Part-time
Compensation: Paid, Compensation commensurate with experience
The intern position will support the Energy Markets team in forecasting analytics for grid decarbonization goals and setting up data pipelines for an in-house capacity expansion/production cost simulation model. In addition, the intern may be asked to provide support for other ongoing energy market activities, such as insights into market rules and participation of flexibility assets.
Education and Experience
- Pursuing undergraduate, graduate, or Ph.D studies, with a focus on quantitative modeling of the electricity markets, energy economics, and related topics
- Proficiency in basic programming/coding (Python preferred)
- Familiarity with fundamental energy modeling tools and concepts
- Excellent research, organization, and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Detail-oriented, self-starter, flexible, and able to manage multiple tasks
Specific duties and responsibilities include, among others:
- Conduct and in-depth review of electricity markets supply and demand fundamentals (in California and other US regions)
- Develop a working understanding of the capacity expansion/production cost simulation model used by the team, its critical inputs, and assumptions
- Assist in setting up the data pipeline for the model. Write the input data pipeline codebase and work with intenal stakeholders for review and quality check
- Support the broader EDF Innovation Lab energy market activites through research, analytical work, and written contributions
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including preganancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send your resume to email@example.com with ‘Intern, Energy Markets Fundamentals’ in the subject line.
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables North America, EDF Energy North America, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units. EDF R&D has 2,000 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done by creating partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions.
EDF Innovation Lab is the US center of excellence for energy markets, focusing on electricity sector decarbonization goals and the role of emerging storage technologies. Innovation Lab also introduces start-ups and emerging technologies to EDF businesses with the goal of partnering and develop joint ventures.