ORGANIZATION AND PROGRAM PROFILE
Delterra is an environmental nonprofit on a mission to create a world where human activities protect and restore a healthy planet. Delterra’s founding partner is McKinsey & Company, and its flagship initiative, Rethinking Recycling, works with communities in emerging economies to build rapidly scalable, self-sustaining waste management and recycling ecosystems that redirect waste into productive use while improving the lives of the people it touches. In the coming years, Delterra will add other initiatives to its portfolio, all with a view to developing innovative scalable solutions that redesign human systems for the good of people and the planet. Learn more at: https://www.delterra.org
The Finance Manager will report to the Director of Operations as part of the central team for our global organization. This position’s primary responsibility will be the development, coordination and execution of financial strategy and systems across our programs as we move from start-up into initial program activity and beyond. As such, they must establish themself as an indispensable member of the team, whose judgment, oversight and insights into business matters will contribute to the overall success of our non-profit.
- Establishing finance ops SOPs across regions (e.g., semi-annual budget review, inventory tracking) and ensure compliance.
- Assisting country teams to maintain SOPs regarding sub-grantee reporting and fund distribution mechanisms.
- Review and track consolidated expenses against budget, monitoring variances and escalating as appropriate.
- Manage incoming grants and related reporting, working closely with budget owners to track funding and expenses.
- Create and maintain dashboards for leadership to track remaining available grant funds, spending across projects and regions.
- Ensure teams are properly reimbursed for external expenses in a timely manner.
- Monitor team spending and ensuring compliance with organization guidelines.
- Research systems and protocols to optimize existing tools and processes that continually improve the efficiency of central financial operations, providing recommendations to the Director of Operations.
- Draft financial reports with the Director Operations for the CEO and Board of Directors
- Design and deliver trainings on AP, AR and all expense and budget management processes and systems.
- Manage relationship with external accounting support team.
- Oversee payroll processing, ensuring compliance across locations and appropriate reporting against funding sources.
- Support Director of Operations with organizational structure needs such as entity registration, taxation and reporting.
- Coordinate annual financial audit activities.
Skills and experience
We’re seeking an experienced professional who has:
- Minimum of 5 years’ of finance and accounting experience in international development or global NGOs, 2 years in a lead role overseeing finance and accounting processes and systems.
- Strong experience with U.S. accounting and auditing practices and regulations
- Experience coordinating relationships including those with senior management at corporations, non-profits, government officials and agencies where required, negotiating with external vendors and ensuring compliance and governance among implementation partners.
- Familiarity with financial reporting to, and compliance for, private and public sector funders.
- Experience with accounting systems required, proficiency with INTACCT highly preferred.
- Comfort working in a “start-up” environment, with the associated level of ambiguity.
- Experience with financial planning and ability to manage budgets efficiently.
- Positive-, solutions-, and impact- oriented attitude, drive for excellence.
- Passion for and experience working in organizations with a sustainability or social impact focus highly preferred
- Ability to assess and reorient priorities as the organization grows.
- Comfort working across global time zones.
- Professional demeanor with effective interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work productively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills with superior attention to detail.
- Minimum educational qualification: Bachelor’s in Finance or Accounting, MBA or equivalent post-graduate degree preferred.
- Ability to speak and write English is required.
This position can be based in the Americas and will work remotely. Individual will operate in a U.S. East Coast time-zone to enable successful collaboration across our global team.
The Finance Manager will report to the Director of Operations, based in Washington D.C, and work closely with McKinsey.org teams based in Argentina, Indonesia and the US. They will also need to be comfortable working directly with funders and peers in McKinsey.org’s partner organizations.