With community residents leading the way, the mission of Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation (CHLDC) is to build a strong, sustainable Cypress Hills/East New York, where youth and adults achieve educational and economic success, secure healthy and affordable housing, and develop leadership skills to transform their lives and community. We actively promote policies that advance racial equity.
Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation (CHLDC) has an opening for one (1) full time Development Associate/Grant Writer in the Fund Development Department. This position is a non-exempt role. We seek a Development Associate/Grant Writer to prepare and submit compelling government Request for Proposal (RFP) and private foundation/corporation proposals for the organization’s high impactful college success, workforce development, community organizing, education and youth development, housing and community development programs and initiatives. CHLDC is a not-for-profit community development organization and settlement house located in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn. This is a growth position within our nonprofit organization that reports directly to the Director of Fund Development & Strategic Initiatives. The agency’s current budget is $14 million and we serve 11,000 residents a year from 21 service locations. The Development Associate with support the Deputy Director of Fund Development in managing the agency’s database, reporting and submissions calendar and pre- and post-award processes/requirements.
· Coordinate and write proposals to private and corporate foundations and grant applications/RFPs to government agencies,
· Prepare reports to foundations/corporations updating them on our progress and coordinate with fiscal department in securing financial reports, ‘
· Help to lead teams of program, management, and fund development staff in drafting, reviewing and submitting proposals to private and corporate foundations and grant applications/RFPs to government agencies including a work plan that includes all narrative pieces and attachments, interim milestones leading to timely submissions and sufficient time for proofreading and critical reviews,
· Communicate with program staff and support them in understanding RFP/funder requirements and drafting narratives for proposals,
· Ensure compliance with administrative requirements for funded awards from corporate and private foundations. Coordinate pre- and post- award activities,
· Work with Deputy Director of Fund Development Director on prospecting and foundation/corporation research,
· Obtain and maintain updated CHLDC administrative documents, ensuring no lapse in compliance,
· Update CHLDC Fund Development database and tracker/calendar of submission and reporting deadlines,
· Support Deputy Director of Fund Development Director in managing access to City, State and Federal grantee systems, and
· Maintain orderly files of critical grants-related documents.
· Collaborate with other team members on major fundraising events and other special projects.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
· At least two years of experience with grants and contracts in government, human services, or other non-profit setting.
· Excellent writing skills. This includes ability to write for different audiences and versatility across multiple platforms (i.e. private, corporate, or government proposals/reports)
· Knowledge of online systems for government grants (i.e Grants.gov, NYC HHS Accelerator, SAM, NYC PASSPort, Grants Gateway) helpful.
· Knowledge and basic understanding of Foundation Directory Online
· Proficient in the use of business/office software including: intermediate to advanced experience with Excel, Word, Access and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
· Possess superior analytical skills, and be highly organized and a team player.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Excellent attention to detail, strong project management skills, and ability to work independently
· Must be able to exercise sound judgment and prioritize and manage multiple complex tasks while maintaining composure under demanding deadlines.
· Flexibility in approach and willingness to adapt when necessary.
· Ability to work assertively but collaboratively and coordinate a diverse team of contributors.
Reports directly to Director of Fund Development and Strategic Initiatives and Deputy Director
$45,000 – $50,000 dependent upon experience. We also offer a very competitive benefits package.
Send resume, cover letter, and two (2) brief professional writing samples (1-3 pages total) to Tania Rivera, Director of Fund Development and Strategic Initiatives. Cover letter should describe relevant experience and interest in this position.
CYPRESS HILLS LOCAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND IS COMMITTED TO WORKPLACE DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.