Consumer Brands’ office is open for hybrid work! Our fully vaccinated team collaborates in the office two days per week and works remotely for the remaining days. We are committed to employee safety and wellness and continue to monitor federal, state and local guidance for best practices when it comes to the coronavirus.
The vice president, packaging sustainability holistically oversees Consumer Brands’ packaging sustainability programs from advocacy through education to marketplace solutions. This role has critical responsibilities in establishing the strategic plan and direction for Consumer Brands’ policy leadership regarding enhancing consumer packaged goods packaging sustainability and reimagining the recycling system. Reporting to the executive vice president, public affairs, this role will lead and execute all aspects of daily operations, strategic initiatives and policy campaigns related to packaging reduction, material use and recycling.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Policy Campaign Management
- Leads public policy activities including all strategic and tactical functions to support the organization’s packaging sustainability strategic pillar.
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry members, members of Congress and their staff, NGOs, and stakeholders from consumer-facing industries and the packaging and recycling ecosystem.
- Oversee the Consumer Brands Association’s Recycling Leadership Council and related coalitions and exchanges.
- Manage consultants and vendors providing advocacy services to the association.
- Represent the organization at key meetings and industry events.
- Lead discussions and consensus building activities with Consumer Brands member companies and stakeholders.
- Provide expertise on issues such as recycling, waste, sourcing, supply chain sustainability and other issues as they relate to the industry.
- Partner with internal divisions to develop advocacy positions and champion policy frameworks.
- Oversee the development and execution of related education, events and marketplace solutions.
- Draft communications for various audiences, stakeholder comments, talking points and slide decks on related issues.
- Support the senior vice president in providing strategic leadership for the strategic pillar.
- Champion the Consumer Brands Achieving America’s Recycling Future policy platform and the Recycling Leadership Council’s Blueprint for America’s Recycling System.
- Represent the packaging sustainability strategic pillar across the organization.
- Manage a direct report with a focus on collaboration, professional growth and development, accountability for results, strong morale and retention.
Experience & Education
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree is required. An advanced degree such as an MS is a plus.
- 10-15 years of related work experience required, preferably in the consumer packaged goods industry or a related NGO.
- A track record of demonstrated results in building alignment with diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Passion for learning issues and driving results.
- Ability to be productive and drive results in the face of ambiguity.
- Superior interpersonal communication skills.
- Public speaking skills, including the executive presence to represent the association at industry forums and events required.
- Strong data and analytical skills including the ability to present complex data in terms non-specialized audiences can understand.
- Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multitasking and collaborative work environment.
- Receptive to feedback and direction and in search of constant self-improvement.
- Effortlessly adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term deliverables with long-term strategic goals while producing a high-caliber work product.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.)
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.