- Requisition no: 518259
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: School of the Arts
- Grade: Grade 12
- Categories: Other
Works in close collaboration with Director of Academic Administration to coordinate the administrative operations of the Film Division’s three degree programs (MFA, MA Film and Media Studies, undergraduate Film and Media Studies major), including supporting admissions processes, course management and scheduling in university systems, degree certification, instructional support, registration management, student correspondence and records, CPT and OPT approval and advising and management of course evaluations.
General Academic Administration: 50%
- Working closely with the Director of Academic Administration, provide administrative support for curriculum planning, schedule all numbered/rostered Film courses with Registrar, maintain course information in university systems and draft specialized information for various student populations. Work in coordination with several staff (SOA Facilities Manager, Film Events Manager and Film and Theatre Program Assistants) to manage room scheduling for Film classes and events.
- Manage summer session offerings for Film. In consultation with Dean of Students, Business Office, DAA and SPS staff, lead summer course management for the Film Program. Liaise with School of Professional Studies staff regarding room scheduling and registration, access to rosters, and communications with instructors. Liaise with offices of SOA Admissions, Communications and Marketing as needed.
- Provide support for adjunct faculty hiring and orientation to department procedures; act as liaison to Butler Media Library and textbook ordering for Film and Media Studies faculty.
- Plan and organize annual M.A. Film and Media Studies Orientation, manage communications to admitted MA students to foster retention. Update and distribute MA Film & Media Studies handbook annually in consultation with DAA and Director of MA Program. Act as primary contact for MA Film & Media Studies students.
- Represent Film and Media Studies major at Academic Resource Fairs; maintain and provide current advising materials.
- Provide administrative support for online student registration, including managing student rotation through MFA core workshop courses, compiling information on Film Studies courses in other departments, communicating course prerequisites and special registration procedures to different student populations, updating student cohorts with registration information and managing drop/add requests, including those requiring Student Affairs approval.
- Provide administrative support for MA Film and Media Studies admissions process, liaise with SOA Admissions staff, manage communications with faculty readers, maintain confidential internal records of scores, field applicant questions.
- Manage rostered course evaluations during each fall and spring semester and provide access to evaluations for concentration heads and Chair.
- Collect and disseminate internship and job opportunities for MA and UG Film Studies populations via email, blog or other regular platform.
Student Administration: 30%
- Manage thesis and degree certification process for MA and MFA Programs with support from Program Assistant.
- Manage internship registration and CPT and OPT certification for international graduate students in graduate programs. Act as instructor of record for two Internship courses and submit grades for Scr/Dir concentration internships.
- Advise students re leaves and withdrawals, and direct them to appropriate offices for health and psychological concerns, complaints, dispute resolution and other university services.
- Draft correspondence to/for students related to program status, academic records and other academic matters.
- Provide information on undergraduate and MA Film & Media Studies program to current and prospective students.
Other Administration: 20%
- In close collaboration with DAA, develop and manage content for website.
- Manage departmental communications in accordance with department policy, including messaging to faculty and student listserves, event invitations and other communications as needed. Assist with Film Program Communications, including updates of website and wiki information, liaising with faculty and other SOA and Columbia departments. Supervise student service positions and manage allocations effectively, manage MA Assistant and Butler Media Fellow to perform tasks assigned by Director of MA Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA and/or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of three years related administrative experience required.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, supervisory and communications skills (verbal and written) required.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of management of busy academic office required.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure with large numbers of people on concurrent projects with multiple deadlines and ability to handle confidential matters with tact and discretion required.
- Advanced computer experience with Macintosh and PC systems, Office Suite, Internet, E-mail systems and other specialized data management software required.
- All applicants must attach a C.V. and a cover letter. Applications without these attachments will not be considered.
- Experience in an education or arts environment preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.