At Columbia Business School, we believe that diversity strengthens any community or business model and brings it greater success. That’s why we’re committed to promoting diversity in all its forms by making sure that those from different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and professional backgrounds are represented, welcomed, and engaged in our community.
This is an exciting time to be at Columbia Business School as we are at a transformative point of our 100+ year history of leadership and impact in business education and practice, catalyzed by our upcoming move to our new, state-of-the-art campus.
Columbia Business School is now at a transformative point of our 100+ year history of leadership and impact in business education and practice, catalyzed by our upcoming move to our new, state-of-the-art campus.
The Marketing and Communications department is seeking a Senior Director of Strategic Communications to bring the School’s vision, thought leadership, and strategic priorities to life. Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMCO), the Senior Director will develop a comprehensive communications strategy that enhances the reputation of Columbia Business School; positions the School as a go to source for business thought leadership and management education innovation; and differentiates the School in a competitive environment. This role is responsible for increasing visibility of the School’s robust intellectual capital, faculty ideas, and research, promoting the key programs on a domestic and global scale, leveraging the brand positioning, and telling the School’s broader story target audiences.
- Create comprehensive communications strategies, plans, and roadmaps to reinforce our thought leadership, strategic vision, overall reputation, and more.
- Oversee story ideation, communication, and placement in broadcast, print, and digital media.
- Manage agencies, freelancers, and in-house professionals focused on media relations, executive communications, internal communications, and academic promotion. Collaborate across marketing, content, digital operations, and other CBS stakeholders to develop larger multi-stakeholder campaigns.
- Understand business and industry trends and searches for creative opportunities to leverage these trends for media coverage.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on all media interactions. Draft, edit, and distribute pitches, press releases, op-eds, and other communications materials. Oversee media and press events and work with the appropriate department, centers, and offices to provide public relations support for those conferences and events.
- Partner with the CMCO and senior leadership on reputation and issues management.
- Work closely with the CMCO on executive communications, including speaking opportunities, media placements, social media, speeches, bylines, and internal and external communications.
- Direct submissions, analysis, and reporting for business school rankings and awards.
- Manage external stakeholder campaigns, communications, and relationships.
- Manage reporting and analytics for all communication efforts, delivering regular reports to senior leadership, and consistently looking for opportunities to improve and optimize.
- Works on special projects and tasks as assigned by the CMCO.
Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum 5-7 years related experience required.
Must have demonstrated excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills. Strong expertise in all aspects of strategic communications, including executive communications, internal communications, media relations, and public affairs. Must understand public affairs/policy, executive communications, and the donor community. Writing and editing experience, news and/or public relations writing experience, and strong working knowledge of business media and or management education media strongly preferred. Must have experience managing teams. Strong relationships with media are critical. Must showcase proven results and past success working within and alongside stakeholders in a variety of functions, including social media, content development, events, email, marketing, and more. Must possess good news judgment and understanding of the job at the strategic as well as the tactical levels. Strong interpersonal skills are necessary. Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings required.
**A writing sample is required to be considered for this position.**
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.