Salary Range:$73,000.00 To 77,000.00 Annually
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW | Close Up’s mission is to inform, inspire, and empower young people to exercise the rights and accept the responsibilities of citizens in a democracy. As a non-profit/non-partisan leader in civic education since 1971, we believe that a strong democracy requires active and informed participation by all citizens; therefore, we seek to reach participants of every race, creed, geographical community, socio-economic level, and academic standing. We reach about 25,000 participants annually through our in-person, placed-based programming, teacher professional development, virtual programs, and classroom curriculum.
POSITION OVERVIEW | The Human Resources Manager will foster a collegial community of high performance and engagement, and work with managers to develop teams that perform to the best of their abilities. The position will be expected to deliver a perspective to the Foundation’s executive team on human resources (HR) trends to help shape strategy and business procedures, as well as set standards and ensure best HR practice.
Close Up Foundation (CUF) employs 100 full-time/full-year staff, along with 200 seasonal part-time/part-year seasonal staff. The Human Resources Manager will serve as CUF’s sole HR capacity, working closely with the Finance team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Act as a champion of organizational priorities and change within the organization
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to senior leadership and managers
- Support senior leadership, managers and staff on all aspects of employee relations
- Develop and oversee the implementation of HR policies, practices and procedures, creating alignment with CUF’s strategic initiatives
- Lead and advise managers in the rollout and update of HR policies and ensure that the requirements of the policies are followed by all employees
- Collaborate with senior leadership on the design, management and implementation of HR programs and initiatives that further CUF’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) strategy and contribute to creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace
- Conduct organization-wide full cycle recruitment, ensuring CUF attracts, retains and motivates a high-performing, diverse workforce enabling it to carry out its mission and achieve its objectives
- Collaborate with management to determine the recruitment strategies tailored to each vacancy
- Execute onboarding plans and exit processes.
Compensation and Benefits
- Reconcile/audit benefit invoices and submit for payment
- Manage total compensation approach: work with President and CFO to set salary determinations; assist with annual auditing and selection/negotiation of benefits package
- In cooperation with broker, manage group retirement and benefit administration, including recommending changes to benefits based on current trends and providing general information to all employees and maintenance of plan documents; liaise with COBRA administrator for enrollment and submit payments to Finance
Performance Management and Training
- Manage performance review processes, providing guidance to managers on performance appraisals and the development of performance standards
- Identify and deploy relevant training and professional development opportunities for staff
- Coach managers on employee relations and manage difficult situations to resolution
- Anticipate and resolve complex problems and questions, including employee relations and retention issues, in an economical and equitable manner, compliant with legal regulations and general business practices.
Administration and Management
- Manage accurate, compliant record systems for employee data and maintain official employment files
- Lead semimonthly payroll processing: notification of new hires, terms and changes in benefit elections/status, submit payroll with approval of Finance Director and/or CFO; submit 403b contributions; complete monthly labor reporting; file registrations for state income tax withholding and state unemployment insurance as needed
- Develop and deliver HR reports for senior leadership team on all HR-related matters
- Process accurate and timely annual and year-end reporting for audits; manage compliance reporting, including all required federal and state notices, ACA and EEO filings, 403b discrimination testing, annual 5500 tax return and workers compensation audits; lead the distribution of quarterly 403b notices
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- At least five (5) years’ progressive HR experience in recruitment and benefit administration
- At least three (3) years’ experience with payroll processing
- At least one (1) year experience as a practitioner with ADP Workforce Now
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Understanding of federal and state employment law and regulations
- Authorization to work in the U.S. for any employer
- Ability to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination in compliance with company policy
- Willingness to submit to a post-offer credit and criminal background check in accordance with federal regulations
- Undergraduate or graduate major in human resources or other related discipline
- Human Resources certification from SHRM or HRCI
- High level of discretion in handling sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Exceptional interpersonal and (non)verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail in composing and proofing materials; excellence in spelling, grammar and written communication
- Approachable, service oriented, collegial demeanor
- Advanced organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience working independently and with a diverse group of people
Compensation and Benefits | The Human Resources Manager starting salary is between $73,000 to $77,000 per year. In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Close Up provides a comprehensive benefits package which includes three robust medical insurance plans, dental insurance, and vision discount (more than 90% of the premiums are company paid). Close Up pays 100% of the premiums for life/AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and offers flexible spending and dependent care accounts, a 403(b) retirement savings program, paid vacation/sick/holidays, paid parental leave, metro subsidy or free garage parking, free on-site gym, and a positive work environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment | Physical demands | While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Work environment | While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Upload a brief statement or cover letter describing why this position is the right fit for your skills and experience.
Close Up Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer