Who We Are
CleanCapital is a diversified clean energy investment platform. We deploy a unique approach—underpinned by industry-leading technology—to make attractive investments in distributed generation solar and energy storage. In just over four years, CleanCapital has become one of the leading owner-operators of commercial & industrial (C&I) solar in the U.S. CleanCapital was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in New York City.
Our Commitment to Diversity
CleanCapital is committed to fostering a diverse and equitable workforce reflective of our community while also valuing each persons’ unique perspective, skills, and experiences. CleanCapital does not discriminate against any individual’s race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or nationality and is committed to promoting a more just and inclusive world through intentional policies and actions.
This position will support CleanCapital as it acquires and operates solar and battery storage assets in new/changing energy markets, state programs, or ISOs/RTOs. The Associate will be responsible for determining how solar and battery storage assets will operate in particular energy markets, calculating the potential revenues for assets, and indicating any key risks or considerations in these new markets. Where prudent, the Associate will also find and cultivate local energy experts that can bring clarity to unresolved questions. Associate will also work on corporate strategy, determining which markets are best-matched for CleanCapital’s investment parameters and overall corporate valuation. The Associate will report to the Director of Investments, but will have the opportunity to work across disciplines, supporting our acquisitions, investments, capital markets, business development, and asset management groups. CleanCapital is an exciting and dynamic startup atmosphere and the Associate will receive best-in-class experience on how to underwrite and invest in distributed energy assets.
This position will start off 100% remotely, but candidates should eventually expect to attend meetings in NYC offices in a hybrid setup.
- Research energy markets, renewable energy credit markets, or state programs that provide or underpin CleanCapital solar and storage assets.
- Assist in preparation of Excel-based financial models for CleanCapital’s asset acquisition and financing transactions.
- Assist the Director of Investments in developing both internal and external memos and presentations including market forecasts and deal investment memos, focusing on identified deal opportunities, risks, and mitigants.
- Coordinate among third party advisors with respect to all due diligence inquiries.
- Support the investment and policy teams with research into specific programs and strategic growth areas.
- Job description may evolve over time
- Occasional travel may be expected depending on travel restrictions and business necessities
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Technical Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of experience in power and renewables, utilities and electric power markets, or project finance and mergers & acquisitions.
- Familiarity with utility retail tariff design, solar net metering, wholesale energy markets, and ISO capacity markets / resource adequacy.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and forecasting, namely linear regressions.
- Experience in the creation and modification of sophisticated Excel based models including financial statement models and valuations/LBO/DCF models.
- Experience managing and/or coordinating complex transactions with multiple stakeholders and advisors.
Psychosocial Skills /Human Skills/Behavioral Skills
- Passion for learning about electric power systems and renewable energy policy (with an emphasis on actionable policy learning)
- Expert financial analysis skills to create and maintain Excel models during the investment process
- Proven ability to research and assess investment considerations across a wide variety of asset classes and geographies
- Ability to anticipate and meet needs of internal customers
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to take ideas and run with them from concept to conclusion
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Technical understanding of clean energy business processes
- Ability to think and analyze beyond the data and assess decisions with an informed, enterprise view
- Excellent interpersonal skills while managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Excellence in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The physical demands of this job require an individual to be able to work at a computer for most of the day, be able to participate in conference calls and travel to team retreats on a time to time basis. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If working remotely, your work environment is what you make of it, however CleanCapital encourages everyone to have a dedicated workspace that, for the most part, can be free of distractions. If working in one of our Corporate Offices, the work environment is usually quiet (normal city traffic noises are common), a blend of artificial and natural light, temperate and generally supports a collaborative work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
CleanCapital provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.