Full Job Description
The Assistant General Counsel is a senior management-level position responsible for accomplishing results through the management of a team or department to manage and direct day-to-day legal activities in coordination with the Legal team. The overall objective of this role is to provide legal support, advice and guidance across a broad range of practice areas.
- Provide legal, regulatory and policy advice to senior management, front office personnel, and control functions on matters related to the North America (NAM) investment management accounts, products and services offered through Citi’s Global Wealth Investments.
- Provide day-to-day legal support of the investment management business, including matters related to investment management account agreements and enrollment documents, investment policy statements, performance reports, Form ADV and other disclosures/filings, fiduciary trading issues, marketing materials, off-shore wealth services (OWS) and third-party managers and vendors.
- Supervise a paraprofessional in matters related to restricted and control stocks, insider trading and related issues.
- Subject matter includes U.S. securities laws (especially Rule 144 and the Securities Act of 1933, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Adviser’s Act of 1940, and OCC Title 9), as well as broker-dealer and banking regulations, licensing/registration of personnel, data protection, and regulatory disclosures/filings.
- Review, draft and negotiate various agreements including client and third-party manager/vendor agreements.
- Involvement with regulatory matters, including those from the SEC and OCC, including the promulgation and implementation of new/amended rules and regulations, ordinary course examinations, enforcement actions, and those involving firm business and personnel.
- Work closely with other control functions to ensure compliance by business with applicable laws, rules, regulations and policies/procedures, including through periodic reviews of such laws, rules and regulations, serving as Legal representative on Citi committees (such as Fiduciary Review Committees), and addressing risk, supervisory, operational and/or technology matters with legal/regulatory implications.
- 10+ years of experience as an attorney working in or with the financial services industry.
- Preferred candidate has extensive experience in Rule 144, mutual funds, discretionary and non-discretionary investment management accounts and offerings to retail (non-institutional) clients.
- Knowledge of securities laws, especially Rule 144, rules related to options trading, the Securities Act of 1933, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Adviser’s Act of 1940, and OCC Title 9.
- Skills and Competencies: Strong communications and presentation skills, confidence when dealing with senior managers, business and control functions, and strong legal and analytical skills.
- JD degree required, with New York Bar qualification.
Job Family Group:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.