Job Req ID 21370528
About the Team
The Business and Corporate Communications team is a nimble team in Global Public Affairs that covers a broad scope of responsibilities, ranging from support for the CEO’s public engagements to quarterly earnings, sponsorship and corporate social responsibility as well as communications that support our lines of business. The nature of the work provides a dynamic environment where members of the team serve as company spokespeople to media and other external stakeholders and drive internal communications for a global workforce of more than 200,000 colleagues. Within Citi, the team works with many internal partners, including senior leadership, and regularly coordinates closely with other members of the Global Public Affairs team across the world.
This is a high energy, hardworking and affable team that values colleagues who can anticipate what needs to get done and act accordingly, are quick thinkers and can problem solve matters that arise unexpectedly, are intellectually curious, and who have high professional standards, strong judgment and thoughtful work product. We bring a client service attitude to our work at all times and always strive to be energetic and maintain a good sense of humor. This role reports to the Head of Corporate Communications.
About the Role
The Head of ESG, Sustainability and Diversity Communications will manage Citi’s internal and external communications efforts that support Citi’s ESG and Citizenship initiatives and Diversity and Inclusion efforts. This individual will lead a communications strategy that enhances Citi’s profile and reflects firm-wide priorities through proactive oversight of media relations and stakeholder engagement. This role manages senior professionals and requires a broad and comprehensive understanding of the different disciplines and topic areas. Excellent communication skills are required in order to influence a wide range of audiences.
- Oversee internal and external corporate communications including: ESG, Sustainability, Corporate Citizenship, Diversity and Inclusion
- Lead a communications strategy that enhances Citi’s profile and reputation and reflects its strategic priorities
- Manage and oversee media relations through short-and-long-term strategies to elevate Citi and its relevant executives across financial, business, trade and consumer media outlets
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key media outlets
- Mange the development and production of a variety of communications materials, including company messaging and statements, communications plans, press releases, blog posts, FAQs, and other collateral
- Lead a team of professionals that support key areas of work
- Develop talent and manage performance of team members to achieve a standard of excellence
- Partner closely with Global Public Affairs leadership to inform and advise on both ongoing communications work and areas of opportunity
- Work cross-functionally with many teams across Citi, including HR, the Citi Foundation, Community Investment and Development, and others
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm’s reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency, as well as effectively supervise the activity of others and create accountability with those who fail to maintain these standards
Qualifications and Education
- 10+ years of relevant experience, 5+ years of managerial experience
- In-depth familiarity with corporate communications and media relations
- Experience pitching financial, business, technology, and industry publications
- Subject matter expertise in ESG, Social Impact and Diversity and Inclusion communications
- Ability to synthesize complex concepts to create key messages that are consistent but tailored to various stakeholders
- Exceptional media relations experience
- Strong and prolific writing and editing skills
- Skills in planning, organizing, prioritizing, and executing simultaneous projects and activities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced corporate environment with sensitive information
- Takes initiative, anticipates next steps and sets high standards in all he/she does
- Strong relationship management skills and experience working with stakeholders cross-functionally and globally
- Creative, thoughtful approach to work product and regularly brings forward new ideas
- Experience managing third-party agency relationships
- Persuasive when presenting to larger groups or in regular meetings, both internally and externally
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Integrity, maturity, dependability, and a positive professional attitude
Job Family Group:
Communications and External Relations
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting